POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1] 2
Topic: Paper Mario Sticker Star Sweating and Anxiety Megathread  (Read 14748 times)
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 06, 2012, 10:01:19 PM
Paper Mario Sticker Star Sweating and Anxiety Megathread
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »

Paper Mario Sticker Star is the newest sequel to Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, or as it more commonly referred to, Game of the Year 8 years running. And it's coming out on Sunday. For those of you who haven't been keeping up, here's the skinny:

New things:
-Stickers. You bring an album book full of stickers with you into every battle. Each type of sticker is used for a different move, even Mario's bread and butter Hammer and Jump attacks. Moreover, each sticker is single-use.
-The overworld has been reduced to a world map.

Gone:
-Badges
-Partners
-Experience Points

The reviews are already pouring in, and, while it seems that the game isn't quite as bad as Super Paper Mario, it's not exactly the awe-inspiring sequel to Thousand Year Door that some were expecting (me, i was expecting that).

Permalink  •  November 06, 2012, 10:16:42 PM
Re: Paper Mario Sticker Star Sweating and Anxiety Megathread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »

I will pick this game up sometime most likely... I will reserve my Ultimate Judgment until then.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 06, 2012, 10:23:29 PM
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »

sticker star just earned another point in its favor

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 09, 2012, 08:53:01 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »

everything i hear about this game makes it sound more and more awful and two days from now im going to trade in the rest of my 3ds collection to buy it. i mcool

Permalink  •  November 09, 2012, 10:58:47 PM
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »

Life's not fun without a littlelot of disappointment, right?
Permalink  •  November 10, 2012, 11:02:07 AM
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »

everything i hear about this game makes it sound more and more awful and two days from now im going to trade in the rest of my 3ds collection to buy it. i mcool

idk if this says more about your dedication to this series or the quality of the 3DS lineup...
Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  November 10, 2012, 11:53:19 AM
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »

Not like I'm spending the money on anything else. My Wii U fund is full, I have a lot of extra cash left over from vacation despite the Airlines trying to screw me up the butthole. Why the hell not? This game might provide me with some entertainment, if not I'll delete it from my 3DS and never think of it again.

Permalink  •  November 10, 2012, 12:24:31 PM
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »

Why the hell not?

Because you can delete the game, but you can't undelete your $40. And there's nothing wrong with saving the money for something bigger down the road...

Not that I'm not guilty of buying games I won't play myself... mostly that's with Steam sales though. The only game I've bought anytime recently that I ended up not playing was Kid Icarus Uprising because I just don't like the game enough to go through with it.

I'll likely pick this up sometime but I have no plans to buy it at launch... which is tomorrow I think?
Permalink  •  November 10, 2012, 03:11:11 PM
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

Guess I could always wait for the holiday lineup. But I really want to give Paper Mario a shot. We'll see, because there's not a whole lot in December coming out outside of the Wii U, which I'm already well saved up.

Permalink  •  November 13, 2012, 11:27:10 AM
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »

Seeing as this was the game I was really anticipating when I bought my 3DS, I'd better like it. I have enjoyed several games that didn't get great critical reviews in the past, so I can still hold out hope for this one.

I'll likely wait until the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period to see if it goes on sale before buying it.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 13, 2012, 02:53:06 PM
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:53:06 PM »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

cool quotes

When you think of RPGs, you think of the traditional game style where the user gains experience points and levels up. In Sticker Star we did our very best to create an adventure game filled with battles completely unrelated to experience points and level ups. We are calling the genre “Sticker Battle Adventure”.

Mr Taro Kudo: This is the first time I've been fully involved on a Paper Mario game and seeing as none of the characters from those games will appear in this title I specifically decided not to bring in elements from previous Paper Mario games. However, I did work on the SNES Super Mario RPG and I wrote a lot of Toad dialogue for it, so I think that some of the essence of that project must have found its way naturally into Sticker Star.

and one not so cool quote

The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the stor yor characters we focused instead on paper.

miyamoto is a motherfucker who can't stand it when other people do more with his franchises than he ever could. see also: donkey kong country

Permalink  •  November 13, 2012, 03:20:10 PM
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 03:20:10 PM »

Yeah it's one thing to stick by something you created. It's another thing to not let it grow and flourish into new ideas. I think this was a terrible move on Miyamoto's part.

The game's fun for what it is, but if you look at it like a Paper Mario game (TYD and the original specifically) it's not what we were expecting. Here's hoping the Wii U Paper Mario game blows TYD out of the water like this one should've. (Spoilers: It probably won't)

Permalink  •  November 13, 2012, 07:54:43 PM
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:43 PM »

It looks like a game that, if you look at it as a critic would, isn't that great, but if you like Paper Mario you'll enjoy a lot.
I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Jack
  • I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Permalink  •  November 14, 2012, 05:53:49 AM
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:49 AM »

"while it seems that the game isn't quite as bad as Super Paper Mario"

I thought SPM was a great game.
I feel so alone :toot:

"Always remember, stay flappy" -Soaprman 2014
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 14, 2012, 07:35:52 AM
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »