POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: 1 [2]
Topic: Paper Mario Sticker Star Sweating and Anxiety Megathread  (Read 14747 times)
Permalink  •  November 14, 2012, 05:28:23 PM
Re: Paper Mario Sticker Star Sweating and Anxiety Megathread
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »

"while it seems that the game isn't quite as bad as Super Paper Mario"

I thought SPM was a great game.
I feel so alone :toot:

I wouldn't call it great, but I have to admit it was a let down compared to how awesome the N64 and Gamecube Paper Marios were. I was at least entertained by it and I'd probably play it again a few years down the road, so I can't say it was all bad.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Permalink  •  November 14, 2012, 07:32:25 PM
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »

Super Paper Mario wasn't really bad, but it wasn't that great either. It was cool at first but the environments got kind of bland and the writing alone could no longer mask the fact that it's a platformer without the kind of level design that makes platformers fun. It was worth playing to the end, though.

Sticker Star is great as long as you ignore the lack of characters. I'm only a few levels into world 3 so I'm sure there's plenty of game left but most of the NPCs so far are just Toads. Very well-written Toads, but still... a little variety, please?

That said, the gameplay is fantastic. The battle system is a lot of fun and the sticker system works very well. Battles feel a little unrewarding without the experience points but they're just so fun sometimes that they're their own reward. And the coin/item drops do seem to have picked up after the first world.

The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the stor yor characters we focused instead on paper.

miyamoto is a motherfucker who can't stand it when other people do more with his franchises than he ever could. see also: donkey kong country

The first two games were good in part because the characters were fantastic. If I were in his spot, I'd be asking for new characters from the Paper Mario team, not rejecting them.
I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Jack
  • I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Permalink  •  November 15, 2012, 02:31:16 PM
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

"while it seems that the game isn't quite as bad as Super Paper Mario"

I thought SPM was a great game.
I feel so alone :toot:

I wouldn't call it great, but I have to admit it was a let down compared to how awesome the N64 and Gamecube Paper Marios were. I was at least entertained by it and I'd probably play it again a few years down the road, so I can't say it was all bad.
Since I posted this, my only friend pointed out some big flaws: Lazy level design, frustrating areas, etc. But I still say it's a fairly good game. For me, the thing that makes up for it is the music (bless) and the Pit of 100 Trials. Also Luigi is a main boss/character/plotdevice and I'm loving it :mcdonalds:

"Always remember, stay flappy" -Soaprman 2014
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 15, 2012, 06:32:42 PM
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 15, 2012, 11:48:57 PM
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »

bowser is completely mute for the entire game. bowser, far and beyond the most developed character in the rpgs, does not have any lines in sticker star

hey, uh, intelligent systems? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=acLp0S3K6mk&t=3s

Permalink  •  November 17, 2012, 12:40:53 PM
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »

I'm a bit further in now (world 4) and so far, the game's been getting better as it progresses. :thumbsup:
Permalink  •  November 23, 2012, 05:47:41 PM
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 05:47:41 PM »

Just beat the game a bit ago. Overall, it's a good game, and was about as long as it needed to be... any longer might have been a bad thing.

The final battle was alright but it was awkward at times with the timing of the phase changes. I used more stickers than I probably had to because I didn't know what the conditions were for moving to the next phase of the battle. Managed to win on the first try, though. I was wise to make a bunch of random thing stickers before going into battle.

My only gripes with the game lie mostly with the "regular Mario game" setting the game has. The graphics in this game are gorgeous and the levels were all very nice (world 1 was bland though). But imagine if they were able to work with places other than the typical plains, desert, etc. that are in every regular Mario game.

The boss battles were kind of meh, too. I like the idea to have a thing sticker that makes the boss fightable... it's kind of like a puzzle before your battle. The problem is that after using the thing sticker, the battle doesn't become merely manageable. It becomes easy as hell. I really like the sticker system but I wish I had gotten to use it in some real boss fights.

The battle spin could have been done without, too. I can get at least two to match every time without fail (thanks, giant clump of coins and mushrooms in one point of the spin), and can intentionally pull a jackpot fairly easily too. So all it really did most of the time was pad the battle length a little bit.

I'd love to see some variant of the sticker system turn up in another game. I think it's really good at its core and some tweaks could make it even better.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  November 28, 2012, 11:11:17 PM
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »

I got bored with the wiggler nonsense and stopped playing for a while. :\

I found another Behind the Scenes article, though. Let's take a peak: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/0

Neat Stuff:

Tanabe: At our first meeting, Square presented us an image of Mario wearing a cape, riding a horse, and holding a sword!
Kudo: Our first proposal combined Square's specialty, a world of swords and sorcery like in FF17, with Super Mario.
Tanabe: I remember how the first thing (Shigeru) Miyamoto-san said when he saw that was, "That's not right." He started with how Mario wouldn't have a sword, but might have a hammer.
Iwata: I suppose that when Super Mario became an RPG, Miyamoto-san had an idea in his head from the start about what he wanted to make use of and what couldn't budge.
Tanabe: But that was Miyamoto-san's only specific request. My impression is that Square understood the rest and turned it out nicely.

Igata: Yeah. Content-wise, you just have to get a map piece that's right before your eyes but you can't reach. It wouldn't be fun if you just ran over bridges, so I proposed a big device by which you knock over a tree in the area and go around the whole course like in a Pythagoras-Device that appears in the Pythagoras-Switch TV program to eventually get it.

the scene he's talking about here is super cute and i was totally getting the vibe that they were going for there

Iwata: Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64 was the first game in this series of paper-thin 2D graphics. I think Miyamoto-san really persevered until achieving that unique style. As the developers at that time, what was it like?

Aoyama: And while the design remained undecided, I naturally spent a lot of time waiting. Then, during that free time, casually for my own interest and totally apart from the course the team was taking, I made a rough image. I hoped it would somehow serve as a kickoff point and submitted it.

Significantly less neat stuff:

Aoyama: After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.

Iwata: Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?
Tanabe: Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

im just screaming

Tanabe: Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting.

Iwata: I suppose that's true. (laughs) But it seems like a part of you enjoys putting something edgy out there and seeing how much you can get away with.
Tanabe: No, there were times when Miyamoto-san has really gotten angry at me! (laughs) Like about treatment of Bowser.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:13:22 PM by Scrow Funk »

In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  February 24, 2013, 09:36:33 PM
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »

After reading all of that: Miyamoto is a fucking moron.   Paper Mario TTYD is the best thing that happened to that series. If he cant recognize that it was the story and amazing varied setting then the man doesnt have two brain cells to rub together to form a clue.

:cranky:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:55:29 AM by Rick »
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  February 24, 2013, 11:14:11 PM
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

sticker star makes me depressed in a way that nothing else can. its incredible really

In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  February 25, 2013, 10:57:02 AM
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 10:57:02 AM »

Well I wont buy it so I'll wait for the next one to see how well it does.  Also Super Paper Mario was a fun time but it did seem a bit foolish of them to change the direction of the gameplay.
Permalink  •  February 25, 2013, 07:33:43 PM
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »

Another thing to think about is that they used Super Paper Mario as the baseline of what "old Paper Mario" is when they talk about people not caring about the story and whatnot. Not TTYD. This is important, as one of these two games has largely forgettable characters and environments, and the other has the goddamn Glitz Pit.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  February 25, 2013, 08:23:28 PM
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »

in any case im looking forward to the next installment in the paper mario series where the dialogue is removed completely, there are no characters except mario and battles are replaced with QTEs (but u can press different buttons so the animation looks a little different)

Permalink  •  February 25, 2013, 08:46:16 PM
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

in any case im looking forward to the next installment in the paper mario series where the dialogue is removed completely, there are no characters except mario and battles are replaced with QTEs (but u can press different buttons so the animation looks a little different)

A world where every world is world 1... sounds like good honest Mario action to me!
Pages: 1 [2]