POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: 1 [2]
Topic: アニメのスレ LETS POSTING [The Anime Thread]  (Read 4441 times)
stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
  • stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
Permalink  •  September 29, 2013, 05:11:22 AM
Re: アニメのスレ LETS POSTING [The Anime Thread]
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 05:11:22 AM »

Space Brothers is about the lives of two young brothers who, inspired by an aunt who owns an astronomical observatory, decide to become astronauts and go to space together when they grow up. By the time they come of age, Japan has a space agency equivalent to NASA and the world is planning the first manned mission to Mars. Blonde-haired brother Hibino has been accepted as an astronaut already, while darkly permed Nanba has a spotty work record because he did the Zidane Headbutt on one of his bosses this one time. Can Nanba catch up to Hibino? Will he win his chance at making history by passing the space agency's complex examination process and earning his passage on humanity's first Mars voyage?

This is one of my favorite anime lately. The characters are all engaging, their goals are clearly stated and sympathetic, and they way they approach their personal trials in order to realize these goals is compelling and instructive. To facilitate this, events in the present are interwoven with flashbacks that appear at moments of story relevance. There's nothing supernatural about the story, and even though its main theme is "humanity exploring the universe" it is remarkably grounded in its portrayal of the characters' personal lives. The only thing that might strain credulity is the persistently moral behavior of the cast and the story's idealistic portrayal of a cooperative human society. But those two things are actually part of what I like about the series. I think that fictions serve an important function, however indirectly, of imparting morals and ideals in individuals who pay attention to them and engage with the texts. A story doesn't have to be structured like an Aesop's fable in order to serve a function similar to one.

Stories like Space Brothers, while bending the suspension of disbelief somewhat, provide moral exemplars in the form of characters whose behavior is praiseworthy, and exemplary institutions for real-world institutional counterparts to be modelled after. I could draw some analogies here to other series which similarly bend the rules of the cynic's view of reality in order to make points about morality, ethics, and human purpose, like Star Trek: The Next Generation. That had some pretty idealized characters, but I think it was a better series for it. I don't think the idealism, didacticism, and explicit moralizing of stories like Tales of Symphonia, Adventure Time, One Piece, the Mother series, or Homestuck hurts those stories one bit.

But I've been endorsing stories like the ones I just mentioned for a while already. What I think sets Space Brothers apart is that unlike a lot of other examples of highly idealistic storytelling, Space Brothers doesn't use the wondrous, fantastical, supernatural, or distantly futuristic as the main devices to fuel the drama and move the narrative along. On the other hand, Space Brothers also refrains from dampening the emotional brilliance of the story by focusing solely on the personal, the immediately surrounding, and the immediate present. Its setting is firmly within that domain of the future that is faraway yet still visible on the horizon from where we stand, and the stakes involved concern one of the worthiest goals for humanity to collectively strive for in its future, namely the exploration of space and advancement of our total understanding of the universe. The idea of sending people to explore Mars for a few years and then come back might seem impossibly distant to us sometimes, but it is not out of reach so long as we still keep it prominent in our desiring imaginations and high among our ideals, and it seems that much closer when you watch a series that is all about how it could be possible and what kind of people would be required to do it.

I don't know what the POS consensus on Sanji is these days, but series protagonist Nanba is voiced by the same voice actor, and the whole project seems to be of a quality befitting the astronomically high standards I'm sure the guy who voices Sanji must hold.
stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
  • stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
Permalink  •  September 29, 2013, 05:13:19 AM
Re: アニメのスレ LETS POSTING [The Anime Thread]
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 05:13:19 AM »

Everybody remembers the 'Zidane Headbutt', right?
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  April 04, 2014, 08:00:13 PM

the first episode of stardust crusaders aired and it's dope as all hell. they must have gotten a bigger budget for this season, there were lots of neat animation effects especially with the stands

Permalink  •  April 05, 2014, 11:47:20 PM

Gonna make like a  :jawsome: and check this shit out tomorrow!
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  April 11, 2014, 01:34:55 PM

Spoiler for Hidden:

Permalink  •  April 11, 2014, 04:57:52 PM

joey jojo
Pages: 1 [2]