POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Gaben Confirms Steam Box Gaming Platform  (Read 15006 times)
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  December 11, 2012, 11:39:08 AM
Gaben Confirms Steam Box Gaming Platform
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »

http://www.cnet.com.au/gabe-newell-says-steam-box-is-a-go-339342744.htm

Way back in March, the internet sort of exploded when it became apparent that Valve really was working on its own gaming hardware package.

Now, Gabe Newell himself has told Kotaku that Valve will create its own hardware and software solution that is designed to compete directly with next gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft.

Kotaku interviewed Newell at the Video Game Awards in Culver City, California, over the weekend. Newell said that the consumer response to Big Picture had been better than expected, and that the next step was to get Steam Linux into alpha and ensure that Big Picture works on the platform.

Newell expects that many manufacturers will create PCs for the lounge room, and that Valve's offering will be just one distinct option for consumers.

He also warned that a Steam Box PC might be a far more controlled and less open-source solution than people might expect:

"Well, certainly, our hardware will be a very controlled environment. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution — that's what some people are really going to want for their living room."

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  December 11, 2012, 11:39:17 AM
Re: Gaben Confirms Steam Box Gaming Platform
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »

Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  December 11, 2012, 11:46:14 AM
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »

Yeah honestly I don't see what he's going for here. I guess it depends on the price of the hardware and the power. It'd have to be a little less than maybe 500 to be worth buying over a cheap PC that you can just swap parts out as needed.

I think he has the right idea but the execution isn't sounding too good at the moment.

Permalink  •  December 11, 2012, 06:23:41 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »

I don't get the feeling from reading this that it'll replace or overshadow the PC. It sounds like it's basically a PC for people who want to play PC games on their TV but don't want to hook up their PC to their TV or deal with the normal array of PC problems. That's fine with me; I'll just keep with my regular PC.

The only way this'll be a problem is if they start making their PC games as ports of their console games and don't bother giving the PC one a proper, PC-friendly interface.

One arguably good thing about the consolification, though, is that it tends to keep a leash on system requirements for PC games, meaning the same computer lasts longer without needing upgraded.
Permalink  •  December 11, 2012, 09:40:26 PM
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »

I think it's too early to assume much about what this will be or make judgments about the quality of it.
Permalink  •  December 11, 2012, 10:22:29 PM
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »

its gonna suck and u know it spat. ont even try a deny it

its gonna be really GAY
Pages: [1]