POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1] 2
Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta [RNG] [Twitter] [Other forum's]  (Read 7302 times)
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 16, 2013, 03:47:48 PM

The Four Job Fiesta is a fun little charity1 event hosted by some dudes on SA's Games forum. Basically the idea is you sign up by tweeting at @FF5ForFutures whenever you hit one of the four crystal temples in the game, then you get a random class from that temple. From that point on, you have to have at least one of that class in your party, but there are a couple of variant runs where the bot only pulls from certain pools. That's the short version. The Long version is
Quote from: Kyrosiris" post="415520194

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2013 thread! Unlike 2012, where we kinda took over the Final Fantasy Megathread, we have our own little home to swap tips and collaborate, lament our failures (or Gilgabot's lack of mercy), celebrate our successes, and otherwise celebrate the Fiesta. If you're looking for a quick link to the official Fiesta website, that is available here.

The Fiesta is LIVE!

IF GILGABOT IS NOT REPLYING TO YOU, CHECK THE PLAYER PAGE: http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Random Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 adds even more options, which are detailed below.

While the challenge is not one regularly recommended for those new to Final Fantasy V, there were several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos).

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here.

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it.

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my ass!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu last year with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and last year we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice. You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Straight Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FF5Fiesta on SynIRC. (This is a Mibbit embedded link - click to chat with us!)

So what's new for 2013?

Glad you asked! RK has new, fresh rulesets for 2013 to add extra difficulty!

Normal: This is the standard rules I described above. Jobs are only pulled from the Crystal you're requesting (so only Wind jobs from Wind, etc). Register with "#reg".

Random: 2012 called this "Hard Mode", but I think this is more accurate. Jobs are pulled from anything available at the time, so at the Fire crystal, you could get a Fire, Water, or Wind job. Register with "#regrandom"

Team 750: 750 break rods err day! This mode will pull from only Magic-using and Magic-themed jobs (the exception is the Sorcerer/Mystic Knight). Register using "#reg750".

Team No 750: Fuck magic. This mode will only pull from martial classes (again, the exception is the Sorcerer/Mystic Knight, who is available for No 750 players). Register with "regno750".

Natural Mode: Natural Mode is a add-on to any of the above rules. In Natural Mode runs, each character has to use the job that matches their element (Bartz: Wind, Lenna: Water, Faris: Fire, Galuf/Krile: Earth) with no exceptions. Each character MUST be a Freelancer until their job is unlocked, and people playing Team No 750 must NOT break rods as Freelancers. You also can NOT cross-populate abilities - what your class has is all you get! Add this to your registration with "#natural"

BERSERKER RISK: :black101: Every :10bux: donated before the Fiesta puts one Berserker into the pool! Everyone at Berserker Risk can randomly get one of these! If there's more Berserkers than people at Risk, EVERYONE gets one, and the remainders will end up with people getting TWO Berserkers! Add this to your registration with "#BERSERKERRISK". This isn't available anymore.

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regno750 #natural #BERSERKERRISK" or "@FF5ForFutures #regrandom" or whatever options/mode you wish. Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start! June 2013 is the current target.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is).

2011 Infographic

2012 Infographic

ANWAY it seems like fun and I'm already past the Wind Temple in my playthrough on the SNES version. Come join me on my adventure, friends.

1All proceeds go to Child's Play :playitloud:

i don't care
Draino
  • i don't care
Permalink  •  June 16, 2013, 04:36:33 PM
Re: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta [RNG] [Twitter] [Other forum's]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »

actually the event is organized + the twitterbot is programmed by a guy named RevenantKioku who is from NeoGAF I think? not a goon. but there sure are a lot of people doing this from SA.

I just so happen to be one of them! (because I had so much fun last year) (actually I think I made this thread last year) I'm playing a team 750 run, which is random magic-using/magelike classes. So far my party is Blue Mage/Red Mage/Bard, which is fun as hell because I rarely use bards in my normal playthroughs.

I encourage all of you guys to do this, FF5 is the best FF and it's fun to play along with other people! Most of the random teams you can get don't have too rough of a time, especially if you join SA's IRC channel for this event and get advice from the spergs there who know this game inside and out.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 16, 2013, 04:49:49 PM
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »

(actually I think I made this thread last year)

http://thedailypos.org/forum/index.php?topic=10953.0

whoops! i remember this thread now :guh-huh:

also
My wind crystal job is Thief btw...

me2  :toot:

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 01:56:38 AM
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:56:38 AM »

Theif/Berserker combo comin atcha with the one-two punch

Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 06:48:23 AM
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »

I have the PS1 Anthologies disc that has V and VI. I wouldn't need a more up to date version to play along would I?

Or have played the game at all. Ever. This could be interesting.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 04:42:24 PM
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »

Is there a way to switch between characters with a full ATB gauge?

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 05:44:19 PM
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »

I went through 60 potions fighting Liquid Flame. 60.

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 06:23:21 PM
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »

I left the Fire Crystal castle with 11 seconds left. fucking gamer hell to the yeah

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 06:31:39 PM
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »

thief/berserker/beastmaster jesus christo santa maria

Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 07:35:55 PM
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »

I have the PS1 Anthologies disc that has V and VI. I wouldn't need a more up to date version to play along would I?

Or have played the game at all. Ever. This could be interesting.

Any version will be fine. I played last year on the GBA one... didn't complete the game because the class set I ended up with was awful and it just wasn't fun to play past a certain point.

I had Thief, Red Mage, Beastmaster as my first three... never got to the Earth Crystal. Red Mage was really good for a while but eventually the enemies catch up with that magic cap and they're not so good anymore! Getting Beastmaster from the Fire Crystal was about the worst thing that could have happened (their catch skill isn't powerful enough to justify being able to only hold one creature at a time), and after a while shit just got way out of hand. I think I said "fuck it" sometime near the Sandworm fight.

I think I'm game for another go at this. Pretty much any class set would be better than what I got last time!
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 08:06:13 PM
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Went ahead and rolled my Wind Crystal... got Black Mage this time. I can dig it.
i don't care
Draino
  • i don't care
Permalink  •  June 18, 2013, 01:07:44 AM
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:07:44 AM »

my blue/red/bard/dancer party has finished the game. now I want to play FF6.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 18, 2013, 02:11:38 AM
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »

my blue/red/bard/dancer party has finished the game. now I want to play FF6.

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 18, 2013, 05:09:50 PM
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 05:09:50 PM »

the sandworm being able to move to avoid attacks and the berserker targetting completely vacant holes in the ground are, separately, the stupidest mechanics i have ever seen in a jrpg. their powers combined, this is the most poorly-conceived boss fight in the world

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 18, 2013, 05:14:20 PM
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 05:14:20 PM »

OH GOOD THE BEASTMASTER'S ATTACK CAN TARGET THE HOLES, TOO. GOOD. COOL. RANDOM FTW, DICE ROLLS FTW, COIN FLIPS FTMFW

Pages: [1] 2