POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: PSA: Take them batteries out, you bimbo!  (Read 3482 times)
Permalink  •  June 17, 2013, 11:47:32 PM
PSA: Take them batteries out, you bimbo!
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »

I was digging through some old stuff a bit ago and found my Game Boy Pocket and Game Boy Color. (as well instruction booklets for old SNES games!) Unfortunately, I was dumb and left the batteries in them the last time I used them, which was over a decade ago. After opening the battery covers, it was pretty ugly in there. So, I did what anybody would do at 11:00 at night and try to get these things running again.

The Game Boy Pocket was unsalvageable. The batteries were as good as fused with the components, and one of the batteries was even melted and warped. This thing was corroded beyond repair and now sits in the trash can. RIP, old pal.

The Game Boy Color, on the other hand, was rescued! After putting in nontrivial effort to rip out one of the batteries (it had stuck itself to the spring) and taking a knife to it to scrape out the insides, I was able to clean it enough so that new batteries rendered it operable again. I popped in Wario Land 3 and  :playitloud: for a couple minutes in woefully inadequate lighting. This thing is so bad compared to what we have nowadays, damn! I also found a light attachment but I have no AAA batteries on hand to put into it.

Anyone interested in preserving their old game consoles for some reason who may have forgotten about the batteries in them like I did: go find those things and give them a look ASAP. It might not be too late! If you have any Wii remotes lying around that you aren't using, might be a good idea to take the batteries out of those too. I'd be right pissed if I couldn't play N64 or something because the controller's battery chamber was ruined!

"Those who historically forget are repeating their doom." - Benjamin Franklin, Star Trek: The Last Generation
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:49:55 PM by Soaprman »
Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  June 18, 2013, 03:44:19 AM
Re: PSA: Take them batteries out, you bimbo!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:19 AM »

Ya it's always a good idea to remove the old batteries from portables and other such devices. I read this a bit ago and went immediately to go check my old systems. Thankfully only my old game gear had batteries in them and it was repairable. I need to replace a spring though, that might be impossible to do at this point.

Edit: I was able to save the spring. System restored.

Permalink  •  June 18, 2013, 09:09:27 AM
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »

yeah, that's happened to me before, but not enough so it was unsalvageable.  the problem I have is where to keep the batteries now that they're out of the package??
Permalink  •  June 24, 2013, 06:50:00 AM
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »

I pulled out my Game Boy Box a few months ago and, fortunately, nothing was damaged beyond repair. I had like 2 GBA colors, a Pocket, 2 Advances and my SP. I actually played Pokemon Red and Blue in an effort to get all 151.

I hope my GBA SP never fails...it was a little small, but the weight was perfect - my favorite handheld.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • Hentai Governer General
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  August 25, 2013, 10:47:38 AM
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:47:38 AM »

Should've put some WD-40 on that GBP, it might've gotten the "badderies" out.

Also still have all my old portable nintendo shit without the back battery covers, so i know they wont have batteriesslashthey look incredibly ghetto when i look at them.

Also RIP in piece all Pokemon Silvers/Golds that wont save games anymore.

Quote from:  Jon's deaf friend
I may not know english can good but meet me at sign class and I woop your ass at sign language
Pages: [1]