POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Valve makes the world a little bit worse - the Steam controller  (Read 4285 times)
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 03:37:49 AM
Valve makes the world a little bit worse - the Steam controller
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:37:49 AM »

This is just about the dumbest controller I've ever seen, and I know a guy who owns obscure fuckoff machines with all kinds of controllers from the eras before Nintendo stepped up and said hey look at this new hip thing called a d-pad.

Seriously look at that shit and the absolutely fucking insane positioning of everything.

But the biggest issue with it is that it looks like it's the worse alternative every time.

Due to the lack of actual d-pad, there's no way this is going to be able to provide the same precision as controllers that do have them, making it the worse option for games you want to play with an actual gamepad. And for games controlled with mouse and keyboard, it is often the case that you want access to the many buttons the keyboard provides and the specific movement the mouse provides, making it the worse option for games you want to play with mouse and keyboard (which, well, essentially boils down to FPS and RTS. And both of them are essentially ass with a gamepad, especially since we're here talking about those that have been designed for keyboard & mouse control).

SteamOS and Steam Machine were dumb but off-shruggable (it's a word now), but this is just so stupid I can't let it go.

Just... just why. There's things that have a reason to exist and this isn't anywhere near that.

And with all the technobabble about super advanced haptic feedback trackpads, as well as a big touchscreen in the middle, how much is this fucking thing going to cost, anyway?

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 10:27:38 AM
Re: Valve makes the world a little bit worse - the Steam controller
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support

This allows a player to touch the screen, browse available actions, and only then commit to the one they want. Players can swipe through pages of actions in games where that’s appropriate.

Click to load
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 10:45:59 AM
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »

So the touch panel is about four "thumbprints" in size. The actual buttons are pretty small, though the design at least appears to account for that by not placing the buttons too close to one another. Half the real buttons are on the shoulders, which is a bit of a turn-off... shoulder buttons just aren't as easy to press as face buttons. The back buttons look easy to accidentally press, though the N64 Z trigger was fantastic so maybe these will work out alright too.

I really wish they would have used new button labels rather than introducing yet another take on ABXY... it's already bad enough that Nintendo and Microsoft use different ABXY patterns. It looks like theirs is Microsoft's but rotated 45° CCW and split across the two sides of the controller.

The "control stick" pads are an alright idea... I don't really need tactile feedback when the motion is moving instead of pressing. I think quick, jerky movements might feel weird to perform on them, though. Think about the side somersault from Mario 64 as an example.

Overall, I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be. The designers have thought about it and played with it far more than we have! It definitely won't be appropriate for all games, though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:48:48 AM by Soaprman »
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 11:30:22 AM
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »

im going to buy 4 of those controllers and own people with cavemen controllers like kennyman every day. the future is here, motherbitch

Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 12:06:18 PM
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »

im going to buy 4 of those controllers and own people with cavemen controllers like kennyman every day. the future is here, motherbitch

This is the most intelligent post of this thread!  :playitloud:

i don't care
Draino
  • i don't care
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 02:49:02 PM
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »

as a big ol' linux nerd I think SteamOS in particular sounds interesting and I'm interested in where valve is going with all this
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 05:22:41 PM
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »

While SteamOS is not what I want, I do want to see Linux become more of a viable gaming OS. So that when one eventually has to give up Windows 7 (though, really, Windows 7 should be still going strong for many more years), it'll be a solid alternative.

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  September 28, 2013, 09:19:02 PM
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »

Just being a gaming OS isn't good enough to replace Windows. Linux also needs to work as a general-purpose OS. And until they cut out the "distro" nonsense and put out one mainstream Linux with a vision behind it and you can tell an average user to "go with the latest", that isn't happening.
i don't care
Draino
  • i don't care
Permalink  •  September 29, 2013, 07:34:48 PM
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

I don't think they're trying to replace Windows. "one unified consumer-viable Linux" already happened with ChromeOS and Android. those aren't putting a dent in the number of Ubuntu, Fedora et al. users and I doubt SteamOS has a shot at it either. the thing is, though, ChromeOS and Android aren't traditional desktop OSs like Windows/Ubuntu- they're built for a simpler UI, portability, and less functionality. it sounds like SteamOS is much the same: designed specifically for living-room gaming machines in the same vein as the PS4/exbone/wii u, rather than desktops. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually kills off the oligopoly Nintendo, MS, and Sony currently have over the console market in much the same way the OUYA tried to do. (the difference being that Steam itself already has a huge user base and Valve is not just a bunch of nerds with a kickstarter).

I don't know if the Steam Machine or other SteamOS devices will find a place in my living room, but I already have a shitload of Steam games, so I'm definitely interested. hell, I might even take the nerd plunge and build my own.

after actually looking at the promotional website for these things, it's pretty explicitly stated that you can use a keyboard and mouse with the Steam Machine, so I don't understand why the controller's a sticking point. even if it's going to be a mandatory inclusion with the Steam Machine proper and third party Steambox manufacturers choose to include it, the OS is free- just roll your own.
Permalink  •  October 11, 2013, 01:59:10 PM
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:59:10 PM »

This controller isn't supposed to be for games that already work well with a 360 controller. This is for games that don't normally work well with a controller normally.
Pages: [1]