POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1] 2
Topic: Top 10 of 2013?  (Read 12332 times)
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  December 24, 2013, 02:33:29 PM
Top 10 of 2013?
« on: December 24, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »

Hi all. If you read Giant Bomb you're probably familiar with their yearly Top 10 round-ups where all the regulars and assorted special guests stars revisit This Year In Video Games in a handy listicle format. I thought it'd be neat if we wrote our own! I've got a handful of games to finish up before I finalize my list but I figure I'd go ahead and throw the idea out there so someone else might actually write something before the year is over. Try to keep it limited to releases from 2013 if you can.

Permalink  •  December 24, 2013, 05:28:48 PM
Re: Top 10 of 2013?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »

I'm not even sure I played 10 new games this year. Let's see...

Fire Emlem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Super Mario 3D World
Pokémon X

ummmmmmmmmmmm

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hold on, let me go look through my games.....

Ace Attorney 5
Paper Mario Sticker Star

I think Crashmo is 2013? Let me check... nope! 2012.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Project X Zone :urp:

One more... time to dig deep...

Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Demo version)... no, that's 2012! Argh!

Alright, fuck it. Pokémon Y.

That's my top 10 of 2013. All of them made the list by default.
Permalink  •  December 24, 2013, 05:30:01 PM
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »

The top three of that lot is (in no particular order) probably Fire Emblem, Zelda, SMT IV, SM3DW.

EDIT: Added a fourth game to my top three
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:32:36 PM by Soaprman »
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  December 24, 2013, 06:26:15 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »

I... really haven't played a lot of new games this year and two of them are ports of games that were to their original systems in 2012. But one was a Japan only arcade game and the other... well, the console port was so vastly improved it's essentially a new game.

These are in no real particular order.

Mega Pony (PC)
So. Yeah. It's a thing. But I'm giving it a spot here because it's not only the best pony fangame I've come across, it's also one of the most competent Mega Man fangames I've ever come across. Good spritework, genius soundtrack, good stage design, not a lot of bullshit. It's worth the mention.

Charlie Murder (X360)
The brawler genre and me haven't often been the best of friends, except for Scott Pilgrim. And now this, because Charlie Murder is really good and pretty much punk rock Scott Pilgrim. The only game from XBLA's Summer of Arcade I deemed good enough to buy immediately. (Two of the others I deemed to be eventual purchases when they were on sale and two of them are on sale this week so there you go!)

Mount Your Friends (X360)
Game of the year EVERY year and the best party game ever. Words do not make it justice so hit it up on Youtube.

Magicians & Looters (X360)
A very good Metroidvania on Xbox Live Indie Games. For $1! One of the best games to be found on XBLIG and well worth a mention here.

One Finger Death Punch
More XBLIG, here with perhaps the best kung fu action game ever. And it only uses two buttons and has stickman graphics. Fantastic display of that simplicity is sometimes awesome.

Divekick (PC)
DIVEKICK.

Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds (X360)
Somewhere inbetween Guardian Heroes and Scott Pilgrim, PBBG is a spinoff game of the fighting game series Phantom Breaker. I haven't played that, but a lot of people say Battlegrounds is a better game than the fighters anyway...

DoDonPachi Saidaioujou (X360)
Released for arcades in 2012, ported region-free to Xbox 360 in 2013 - and it was essentially Cave's swan song as we later in the year learned they're pretty much restructuring entirely into a smartphone game making company. But SDOJ was a great sendoff.

Diablo III (X360)
And this, right here, I would have to say is my pick for game of the year 2013. Yes, it was first released for PC in 2012, but the X360/PS3 port came out this year, and nearly everyone who has played both has stated that the console port is a marked improvement. It's also the only version I've played and I've sunk far too many hours into it. And more there will be - not the least since the expansion comes out next year!

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  December 24, 2013, 07:37:58 PM
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »

Hello gents.  I'm going to totally rise from the grave to post here. I only have five great games I have played that came out this year because :money:

In no order at all

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Love the feel of this game. Luigi really is such a endearing character at times with his subtle reactions more than his over the top screaming.  My favorite parts of this game have to be all the times his next macguffin is stolen right as he gets to it and he glances at the camera with a real "Goddamn it..." look. ps gadd rules

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
I have emptied so many hours into this fucking game its insane.  Zoro still the best 4 lief

DuckTales: Remastered
There really wasnt anything about this game I remember being bad.   Not any of it!

Grand Theft Auto V
The story in this game is absolutely gripping.  I was amazed how much I gave a shit about the characters by the end which has never happened in the series to date

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Zelda: Boiled down to the basics and super fun as hell :zelda:  :hellya: :hellda:
Permalink  •  December 24, 2013, 11:48:11 PM
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »

I like Animal Crossing :casual:

Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  December 25, 2013, 12:11:31 PM
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 12:11:31 PM »

Bioshock Infinite: While not as great as the original, the story is what drew me into it. It had a very gripping story and I actually almost started caring for Booker, but most importantly I felt for Elizabeth's situation the whole way through. It was truly one of the best games of the year for me.

Tales of Xillia: If anything had to take GOTY for me, this would take the cake. The animation and graphics were truly stunning for a Tales game, and overall as a JRPG it's one of the best I've played in years. The combat system was great, the story was epic and overall it was an amazing immersive experience. Tales of games are truly a staple in the JRPG world and probably could teach Final Fantasy a thing or two today.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Yes yes and more yes. I couldn't have been more happy with this game. This was truly a great game in both the Zelda series and the 3DS library. A must own in anyone's collection. Even the stupid merging thing turned out to be a really neat thing in the end. I loved it.

Ducktales Remastered: Probably one of the biggest surprises and one of the most pleasant ones to boot. The remaster was short, but sweet. The re-designed levels were fresh but didn't take away from the core game which was awesome. Truly a great remaster and perhaps the first in a long line of them? (Chip N' Dale anyone?)

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: A great game indeed. Still didn't live up to the second game, but it was still a noteworthy game as far as gaming in 2013 goes.

Mario 3D World: Mario. 3D. Wii U. Cats. This game had it all. It was really top tier as far as Mario games go.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: Pretty damn good. Lived up to the hype. I can honestly say of the Year of Luigi madness, this was one of the best titles to come out. I love how Luigi's emotions truly shined in this game.

Pokemon Y: I know it's X/Y, but I played Y. It's Pokemon, they changed lots of stuff made it 3D even. It was a great addition to my Pokemon collection. I had a lot of fun playing with you guys.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies: This was a fantastic game and I'm very glad Capcom decided to bring it to the states. The cases kept me on the edge of my seat each time, truly an epic experience.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix: Yeah it's Kingdom Hearts, but this HD remix was pretty boss. The way they did 358/2 Days was pretty good (though I would've loved a re-mastered game). I enjoyed actually playing a legit English copy of Final Mix too.

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD: Again yeah it's a Game Cube game, but this was a great remake. A truly awesome example of HD remakes done well.

Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • Hentai Governer General
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  December 25, 2013, 01:09:13 PM
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »

Touhou 14: Double Dealing Character - No question. great fun and a new OST to my touhou playlist

Payday 2 even though I bought it to play with some dudes here but we never did play.

Resident Evil 6 even though it's a coop game and nobody played with me.

Papers, Please - I played alot into this game, several playthroughs, all the endings. I think its a runner for GOTY.

GTAV cause it was kinda cool

Pikman 3 cause it's pikmin

The Stanely Parable - This game needed a stand alone release but I'm sad they didnt keep that one ending when you turn the machine back on and stop the place from blowing up. I stayed in that one room for 3 hours pressing buttons for real.

Monaco was fun and made videos

Poker Night 2 cause hats

Dota 2 - Defense of Legends 2 is the sequel to the 1999 release of Warcraft 3 and has made many a lawsuit between Valve and Blizzard seeing as Blizzard Themselves can't make themselves a good game anymore. Valve has made this new beauty with all the things a F2P MOBA or ARTS comes with nowadays, Hats and... well you don't have to pay for characters to play as unlike other piece of shit games. This game gets updated once in a while, actually alot more than our favorite game, Hat Fortress 2(and I think it's why they haven't made anymore new weapons, so send angry letters to Valve next year for those.)
Get 4 other dudes with you on some weekend as you laugh, cry, drink inornament amounts for alcohol and scream at the scream because everyone you play with is an idiot and doesn't know how to play.
Also people play this game for a living instead of having a real job! How sugoi.
My favorite hero is Anti-mage

Quote from:  Jon's deaf friend
I may not know english can good but meet me at sign class and I woop your ass at sign language
Permalink  •  December 26, 2013, 08:48:02 AM
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »

Alright, here are some writeups on video games. I might think of more to post later?

Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
Turn-based SRPG. Solid Fire Emblem gameplay you know and love with various quality-of-life improvements and a particularly colorful cast. You can even play without permadeath. It also has some brutal post-game DLC missions if you're into that!

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Turn-based JRPG. A game where you recruit demons and fight other demons. The battle system is fun and swingy as hell. It has a pretty good story and really good atmosphere. The music's pretty great, too. It's also a rare game that manages to be dreary while not resorting to coloring everything brown and grey... colors abound in this mofo. It actually has a lot of similarities with Pokémon so if you like Pokémon and you like your games Nintendo Hard then get this game, fool! My only gripes with it are the pretty high encounter rate and the shitty world map.

Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS)
First-person dungeon crawler. I never finished this game because it's long as hell but I played it for like 60 hours so i got a game's worth of playtime out of it. If you like exploring, mapmaking, and occasionally getting your shit wrecked, look into this one. There's a demo on the eShop.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
Best Zelda in a long, long time. If you have a 3DS and don't have or plan on getting this game then fuck you.

Pokémon X/Y (3DS)
A pretty typical entry in the series for single-player play, but the best yet by far for online play. If you don't plan on battling online, there's not a whole lot here (the post-game content is pretty minimal). The graphics are super pretty but the frame rate dips once in a while (especially if you turn on the 3D, which isn't even available most of the time. What a shame.)

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)
Solid entry in the AA series. It probably has the fewest "what" moments... pretty much everything makes sense. Either that or I've gotten better at predicting the crazy things that happen in these games. There's a DLC case where you defend a whale.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
Pretty bad Paper Mario game, but an alright game on its own merits. Fun battle system but the battles are basically worthless because you get less out of them than you put into them resource-wise. Boss battles are clunky and hinge too much on having a particular "thing" sticker. The game could have been so great but it's just too flawed to really recommend it. If you find it for cheap, pick it up, but don't pay the full $40 for it.

Project X Zone (3DS)
I'll continue that imagefest one of these days... though you can infer what kind of game it is from the few posts SK and I have made about it already.

Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Demo Version) (3DS)
Style Savvy: Trendsetters (Demo Version)

Permalink  •  December 31, 2013, 02:27:17 PM
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »

Grand Theft Auto 5
GTA has always been the best open world game, and this one is no different. The biggest gripe I had with the game was that the middle part of the story really dragged on and was pretty uninteresting. I really felt that with the three characters, the story should have been much tighter. However, the last 5-6 hours of the story have some of the best moments in gaming this year. If you like GTA at all, you'll probably like GTAV.

Tomb Raider
Metroidvania-esque Uncharted game. The gameplay is really tight. Unfortunately, the story stuff is pretty lame and there really aren't many tombs to raid. But as an origin story for Lara, it works.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
The best playing FPS I've ever played gets a really dumb and amazing 80s-like futuristic spinoff. Definitely a game worth checking out.

Dota 2
I don't think that I've played any game more than Dota 2 this year. I just hit 266 hours the other day, and I've only been playing for about 4 months. This is the craziest timesuck ever, and I love it. Get a good 5-man going, and you'll never want to stop.

Gunpoint
Awesome little puzzle game with some cool mechanics and some fun stealth.

Bioshock Infinite
Not a great FPS, but has a fantastic story. I think that the game would've been better if they had either worked on the combat more, or simply not focused on the combat as much. However, the gameplay was not the draw in this case.

Saints Row IV
Basically what happens when a studio completely stops taking their material seriously and just goes crazy. It's really just a really long expansion for The Third, and probably should've been DLC, but it's still a whole lotta fun.

Spelunky HD
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE(s)!!!!!!

Antichamber
Cool art style, cool sound direction, cool puzzles, cool game.

Divekick
The best 2 button fighter out there!
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  December 31, 2013, 02:41:07 PM
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »

11. and 10. Analogue and Hate Plus - Amazingly well done visual novels for Steam. Most of the story is told through letters and journal entries and that sort of thing, the only characters you actually "talk to" are AI guides, it's a really neat way to tell a story.

9. Super House of Dead Ninjas - Adult Swim flash game ported to Steam. Fast-paced, mindless platforming action :gamerhellyeah:

8. GTA v - Most rad open world I've ever seen, and the driving is top-notch too. The shooting mechanics are so easy to cheese that every shootout is boring, though. The story kind of meanders around a lot and doesn't really go anywhere, too.

7. Etrian Odyssey 4 - Old-school JRPG goodness, now in 3D!

6. Fire Emblem - I was really worried the IS forgot how to make good games, but I guess they just forgot how to make good mario games

5. Pokemon X - All the fun of Pokemon with the added bonus of being humiliated by small children the world over

4. Wonderful 101 - Sick nasty combat system and a rad art style to boot.

3. Mario 3D World - Yes.

2. Spelunky - Action platformer with randomly generated levels, Nintendo Hard difficulty, and LEADERBOARDS. What's not to like?

1. Link Between Worlds - All the charm of LttP with a fresh coat of paint and some seriously insane dungeon designs. I cannot remember the last time I had to think this much in a Zelda game.

SK
Permalink  •  December 31, 2013, 02:53:09 PM
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

i liked shadow warrior

did dragons crown come out this year? that was good too
Permalink  •  January 01, 2014, 12:26:38 AM
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »

i liked shadow warrior

did dragons crown come out this year? that was good too

Ya, Dragon's Crown was this year.