POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Oculus "Ushers" in a new era of gaming  (Read 4138 times)
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  August 03, 2012, 06:27:27 PM
Oculus "Ushers" in a new era of gaming
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:27:27 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

:swoon:

Step inside your favorite game.

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming. 

Designed for gamers, by gamers.

The Rift takes 3D gaming to the next level. There are a number of VR headsets out there, but none that deliver a truly immersive gaming experience. Most products either lack the technical features required for believable immersion or sit at a very high price-point ($20,000+) reserved for the military or scientific community.

We set out to change all that with the Rift, which is designed to maximize immersion, comfort, and pure, uninhibited fun, at a price everyone can afford.

We’re working with the best teams in the industry.

"What I've got now, is, I honestly think the best VR demo probably the world has ever seen"  :wow:
John Carmack, id Software

"Needless to say, I'm a believer... We're extremely excited here at Epic Games to get the Unreal Engine integrated with Oculus"  :spot:
Cliff Bleszinski, Design Director Epic Games

"I think this will be the coolest way to experience games in the future. Simply that... that big"  :eyebrows:
David Helgason, CEO Unity

"I’m really looking forward to getting a chance to program with it and see what we can do.”  :thumbsup:
Michael Abrash, Valve

"It looks incredibly exciting, if anybody’s going to tackle this set of hard problems, we think that Palmer’s going to do it. So we’d strongly encourage you to support this Kickstarter.”
Gabe Newell, President and Owner Valve :fucken scared as shit cos he just saw a huge-ass bug:

Looks like gaming is finally saved! Hot damn

Permalink  •  August 03, 2012, 07:27:53 PM
Re: Oculus "Ushers" in a new era of gaming
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »

Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  August 04, 2012, 03:04:30 AM
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »

:thatsit: Is all I have to say about this.

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  April 16, 2014, 09:23:33 PM
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:23:33 PM »

I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Jack
  • I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Permalink  •  April 17, 2014, 08:32:02 PM
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »

Someone fetch me the bourbon this is gona be a rough year
:goodtdrink:

"Always remember, stay flappy" -Soaprman 2014
Permalink  •  May 19, 2015, 01:39:17 AM
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 01:39:17 AM »

I heard Valve is gonna be doing a headset that will maybe be better than the Rift?? What's that all about?
Permalink  •  June 12, 2015, 11:28:20 AM
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »

Oculus did a presentation unveiling the consumer version of the Rift yesterday. Here's a rundown of the cool new features:

-Packaged with a wireless Xbox One controller, or, a mail-in rebate if you know how to sell on eBay
-Xbox One compatibility, which looks... it looks like this
-Launch title lineup with several third-person action games played with said Xbox controller, to ensure that you don't get whiplash from VR being too big of a change from traditional gaming
-Rift exclusivity confirmed for most launch titles! Finally, console-style content fragmentation comes to PC gaming!
-The ghost of Steve Jobs materializes on-stage to let everyone know there's "one more thing". It's motion controllers! And they look pretty good. And they're not relevant to any of the launch titles 'cause they aren't coming out til a few months after the headset.

Welp. We'll see more at E3, anyhow.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:55:34 PM by Mia Kris »
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 12, 2015, 12:52:50 PM
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »

I think I'm glad that I'm too blind to even consider VR an option at this point

In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  June 12, 2015, 04:07:56 PM
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »

That explains your clothes :owned:
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  June 12, 2015, 11:33:04 PM
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:04 PM »

I would Report this post if our moderation team were competent enough to program such a feature.

Permalink  •  June 13, 2015, 12:45:09 AM
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 12:45:09 AM »

I would Report this post if our moderation team were competent enough to program such a feature.

Quote from: Soaprman
every time someone bitches about the site i burst into flames. why do my friends keep doing this to me.

[7:40:34 PM] soaprman: um.... like *flicks hair for a minute straight* i wasnt like... talkin to u

Permalink  •  June 13, 2015, 12:21:14 PM
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »

Ok here's the Oculus Blog with some more straightforward info about the Rift.

As I said, the "Touch" controllers do look good - they're basically a pair of Wii Nunchucks with Actually Really Accurate motion tracking, as well as some sort of arcane finger gesture recognition presumably based on the Nimble VR tech, whose developers Oculus hired a few months back.

All things considered I think Oculus Touch looks a bit better than the Vive controllers, which have essentially the same functionality minus the gesture recognition, and are probably gonna be a bit bulkier and heavier. However the Vive has a major advantage: their motion controllers are actually going to be included with the headset from day one, and prototypes have already been sent to developers, meaning that most Vive launch titles (admittedly not that many have been announced) will have motion controls.

Trust me that motion control is a super important part of the VR experience. For most of us, the term "motion controls" just conjures the gyroscope&accelerometer based stuff we've been playing with on consoles for the last decade, but the tech used by both the Rift and the Vive (optical tracking of IR dots embedded in the headsets and controllers) has vastly superior tracking accuracy. I've actually demoed a Gear VR to some friends and family myself, and can confirm what Palmer Luckey said in the consumer Rift presser - most people trying VR for the first time are naturally compelled to try and reach out into the virtual world with their hands. Though they have plans to catch up on that eventually, their launch lineup missing the boat on hand presence is disappointing as heck.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:24:57 PM by Mia Kris »
Permalink  •  June 13, 2015, 05:19:46 PM
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »

Pages: [1]