POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Yoshi's New Island  (Read 1257 times)
Permalink  •  March 20, 2014, 08:01:42 PM
Yoshi's New Island
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »

I just bought one of the latest remakes, Yoshi's New Island, because the original was one of my favorite SNES games and nothing feels better than like taking something you cherished as a child and watching it get totally screwed up for the next generation.

I used spoiler tags, but I didn't really give any secrets away, just some general differences between the old and new.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Fortunately, so far, I have enjoyed this game. I'm only on the second world, but to this point it's mostly a duplicate of the original with the same themed worlds and same collectibles. Things seem to be hidden better (you actually have to find the hidden ? clouds to get all the red coins in most levels) and instead of getting a perfect score on all 3 metrics at the same time in a given level, you can independently collect stars, red coins and flowers on different runs to achieve an overall perfect score.

Also, I actually wish the 3DS buttons were further apart. :(
It's more difficult to jump and throw an egg at the same time with the tiny configuration.

Anybody else playing it? It has a 2-player mode for mini games, too.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  March 20, 2014, 08:14:47 PM
Re: Yoshi's New Island
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:47 PM »

Yoshi's Poo Island.

Permalink  •  March 21, 2014, 06:28:48 AM
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:48 AM »

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Permalink  •  March 21, 2014, 06:31:03 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »

I don't have it, but I'll probably eventually get it. The impression I get is that it's a competent platformer with some unfortunate flaws.

What buttons are the controls mapped to? Just curious, really.
Permalink  •  March 24, 2014, 06:59:30 PM
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »

It has the same options as SNES (if I remember correctly). Default is X/R=Throw Egg, A=Jump, B=Tongue. I go with option B: A/R=Throw Egg, B=Jump, Y=Tongue along with the Hasty throw because I hate extra button pressing. And you can still lock the aiming cursor when throwing.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Pages: [1]