POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Hotline Miami 2 isn't a 2 hour game  (Read 1977 times)
Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • Hentai Governer General
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  March 10, 2015, 11:16:14 PM
Hotline Miami 2 isn't a 2 hour game
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:16:14 PM »

Just a warning for everyone here that HM2 is not something you do in one sitting.
Got it on release day, played for 7 hours and I am burnt out.
Will give review later.

Quote from:  Jon's deaf friend
I may not know english can good but meet me at sign class and I woop your ass at sign language
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  March 10, 2015, 11:43:45 PM
Re: Hotline Miami 2 isn't a 2 hour game
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:43:45 PM »

would you say that 2 is...... the wrong nubmer

edit: number

Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  March 11, 2015, 10:30:30 AM
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »

Music's been great so far as expected, even if the soundtrack was out for 6 something months.
One of the tracks that stuck out is from the "Deathwish" level
Click to load

It might have been the mix of it being the theme for a really great level and that I think the song is a lot louder than the others on the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:32:02 AM by Lolicon Jon »

I may not know english can good but meet me at sign class and I woop your ass at sign language
Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  March 12, 2015, 05:53:54 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »

So I just beat Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number and...

It really is just more of the same of what Hotline Miami was.
Pumping music, layers upon layers of pixel gore, trippy graphics and some fast paced action.
But it is pretty much just more of Hotline Miami.

To go indepth, there's a couple different plots that you cycle between which changes who you play as.
More often then not, this is more of a detriment. Such as playing as a fatass guy who takes forever to finish dudes off.
Or a journalist who's the good guy and doesn't want to kill people so he knocks em out instead of bathing in their intestines but it makes some things you do more time consuming.

Then you get to play as The Fans. Each of these dudes dons an animal mask and kills gangsters or trouble making hoodies en masse, just like our guy from the previous game. But these guys are different. Each of them are very fun to play as since their gimmicks hearken to what the masks were like in HM1 but expands on them a bit. Corey Zebraman can do a jump dodge but it isn't great. Tony can murder people with his fists but he can't use any weapons. Alex and Ash are probably the best. One uses a gun and follows you while the other is player controlled and wields a chainsaw. Last, there's bearman Mark who dual wields smgs and you can do cool trailer things like holding them out to either side and spinning around.

The game took me about 8-10 hours to beat which is way different than the first one. I think more of the time contributes to the fact that the design of the levels isn't too great. Not alot of the floors in HM1 were huge in size but here it's the opposite.
Almost every floor is the size of some mansion with a huge gauntlet of dudes. So if you screw up, back to killing that mansion again.

TL;DR - More of the same, still pretty fun.

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  March 15, 2015, 12:12:00 AM
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »

hi here are my gamerthoughts

The level design is SO BAD. Half the rooms in the game expand completely beyond the camera and the other half are surrounded by glass walls. I was constantly, Constantly dying to enemies offscreen and having to memorize where they were so I could blind-fire in their direction in hopes of hitting first. Not a fun way to play a top-down shooter. The weird controls didn't help, either. I could never get used to aiming relative to the character's position instead of just keeping the cursor dead center the whole time, it almost felt like I would have been better off playing with a controller.

The game feels far less polished than HM1. Several times I found enemies caught on a door frame, rapidly vibrating and totally indestructible, and at one point I actually fired clear through a wall. Some of the characters just play aren't fun to play as, like the soldier with a reload mechanic that 1) automatically triggers as soon as you run out of ammo 2) during that time doesn't let you change weapons 3) prevents you from picking up any other weapons and 4) has such a low ammo cap that every stage degenerates into the player camping an ammo crate while plinking away enemies one at a time.

And this is nitpicking, but the music was a lot more hit-and-miss compared to how cool the first game's was. This track in particular almost had me laughing at shitty it was:
Click to load

FINAL SCORE

"i'm glad i didn't pay for this" out of 10

Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  March 15, 2015, 12:26:15 PM
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

Did you beat it or did you quit part way? Not that it matters storywise or anything im just curious

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  March 15, 2015, 04:31:33 PM
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »

I beat it just now, I still had a few more stages to go when I posted that. Some of the last few stages were fun, I liked prison break and the nightclub. The last stage was really cool even if the "boss fights" were really annoying, I ended up spending more time watching the intro animations for those than I did actually fighting the boss. My biggest complaint is, more than just the rooms that you fight in being too big, each individual floor just took way too long. You lose so much progress if you mess up, it's not fun and totally clashes with how the first game played.

edit: the coolest part of the game was the duck twins. that was the only character that felt really unique from the usual gameplay style and was still fun to play. good thing they're only around for like 2 total stages  :thumbsup:

edit2: the worst part of the game was where you have to play as the melee only character in a floor filled with enemies with guns, which led to about 20 minutes of peeking out around corners, baiting enemies into a doorway, punching them out one-by-one,  and then having to repeat it all when you aggro someone with a shotgun off-screen and get instagibbed.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:40:35 PM by Scrow Funk »

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  March 15, 2015, 04:43:11 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »

Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  March 16, 2015, 11:59:56 AM
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »

the worst part of the game was where you have to play as the melee only character in a floor filled with enemies with guns, which led to about 20 minutes of peeking out around corners, baiting enemies into a doorway, punching them out one-by-one,  and then having to repeat it all when you aggro someone with a shotgun off-screen and get instagibbed.

I feel this stage kind of highlighted the flaws of the game when it strips you of the ability to use weapons.
Having to bait enemies with an advantage over you was almost all of that stage. Baiting and camping a spot is the least enjoyable part/mechanic that you have to use, but not utilizing it to progress makes you have to do an entire level over.
That just interrupts the flow that the first game had when you would go through close quarters and just bash every mobster you find or cut a corner to shoot him if he was in the corner of an open area.

Pages: [1]