POSFriends
thinking about breaking the forum for old time's sake :)
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Topic: End of POS  (Read 9628 times)
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 09:52:12 AM
End of POS
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »

I'm thinking about ending POS soon. I don't know what that entails yet, or when "soon" is. Help me decide!

Even though a TOTP just started, let's face it. This place is a ghost town and it's getting ghoster by the month. As you know from the time we switched to this forum, I don't like ghost towns. I'd rather just put something out of its misery and move on. Except now, there's not some living part that can be extracted and run separately. The whole place is dead. We've moved on to Skype and other social media. So it's time to ditch this website and simplify our lives.

Speaking of Skype, don't worry. I won't be disbanding that. I still want to keep in touch with you guys. We still bros. :weedle:

If POS were to vanish entirely one day, how many of you would care?

What content on POS is there that you think especially deserves to be preserved? Most of POS is either unavailable or slow on web.archive.org, so stuff like imagefests may be worth preserving. If you haven't browsed POS in a while, maybe take some time and do it. Is there anything timeless in the mix that needs to live forever? I plan on rereading some imagefests this weekend, myself.

If you have POS webspace and you actually use it, your stuff is safe for now, but you'd do well to consider migrating to webspace of your own. Whenever I do decide to end POS, I'll at least be nice enough to set up redirects until the domain expires.

I have more I want to say, but I'll let you guys get some posts in first.
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 10:05:58 AM
Re: End of POS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

I myself don't get the point of deleting POS from the internet forever. By the way what exactly do you mean by "ending POS"? Do you mean the forum we're on IRL right now? The old archived forum? The webpage that still exist in website form that just show the same shit on the forum in a fancy layout?

There's some quality (and not so quality) shit on all of these sites and I know for a fact at least one person here (me) treasures the memories and nostalgia that was created on everything as a whole. If all these pages were gone I'd literally feel like there was a hole where a creeper exploded in my house (minecraft joke LOL!).

I don't see what having these sites up and able to be viewed at/posted on is hurting but I do see what not having them be around would be hurting. I only assume that a few others feel the same way about it that I do. I also wouldn't have anything to do at times when I get insanely bored, want to see what friends are talking about (I don't go on twitter or anything), or laugh at their funny shitposts on my favorite web based forum board format.

And tbh I think it's a tad selfish how you feel like bring the end of days because of something you have a nitpick with, I'm glad you took the time to ask everyone but it feels like you doing it whatever anyone says and your mind is already made up.

[7:40:34 PM] soaprman: um.... like *flicks hair for a minute straight* i wasnt like... talkin to u

In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 10:26:10 AM
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:26:10 AM »

I'd love to post and have fun there again but alot of the stuff I used to dig is gone.  I dont know most of the folks who were there at the end and alot of the custom stuff we had is toast on new POS Forum Lite.  Besides new pos chat (which is really rad that still happens) Is about stuff I never was into mostly. Maybe I should have made more attempts to change the conversation to stuff I liked but that felt kinda lame towards the rest of the guys.  IDK I hope pos is around forever in a way because its a (incredibly embarassing) link that binds us together. That while everyone has gone off to do there thing theres always the chance we could get the band back together like the old days.  Its a complex feeling.

PS: If it comes down to it I still care enough that I'd prob buy the hosting off you with my grown up moneys :fitzworth:
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 10:55:26 AM
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »

Please don't delete forum. Thank you

SK
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »

I feel like I should make a post about POS as a whole, considering I don't think I've opened up on this site in years and I've got a lot of things still burrowing in my mind.

Honestly, I just want to apologize. I'm sorry for all the people that I've angered or irritated with my passive-aggressive, thick-headed-ness. I'm sorry for all my really bad, forced humor and crapping the place up with all these image/videofest with my too-bad-even-for-highschool humor. I'm sorry for filling the forums with my dumb school friends who all just made asses of themselves. I'm sorry for anyone I grossed out by spilling any personal information that clued in to how much of a very strange individual I am. And I want to personally apologize to Rick, Krem, Anti, Spat, Static, Ben and whoever else I may or may not have frustrated in my time of knowing them on this site, because I don't think I was ever truly aware at any time what sort of impact I was making on people until it was too late. I've spent a lot of time wishing I had handled our interactions better, because more or less everyone on this site is incredibly important to me.

POS is honestly the place I grew up. Like I was hear since, like, junior high up until now, at least 8 years of my life. I learned a lot about myself and the world while attending this place, and I feel like I gained a sense of humor from some of the best people on the internet. I met people who I'm still close friends with, and even the ones that fell apart, I still remember them more fondly than otherwise. I don't regret the time that I spent playing games and browsing deviantart for ways to entertain the folks on this site... I just wish I had been a tad bit funnier so I could have left a better imprint~.

There's never really going to be another place like this, and it's not something I honestly could ever forget. I would probably elaborate more but I'm bad with words. And also most of what I have to say is "I REGRET EVERYTHING".

As far as I understand, in response to the other posts, I assume most of this website going down has to do with money, cuz no sense paying for a site in full of no one is going to use it. I honestly thought about paying for it myself, but I think it would be perfect if we had a handful of people paying for a portion of it just to keep the place around for archive purposes. ((and also i use the webspace a lot so that would be win-win for me~~~))
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 11:20:46 AM
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »

I'll post more soon but I want to make one thing clear: this isn't about money. POS costs me less to host for a year (about $140 for those curious) than I make in a day. I don't even budget for it, much less worry about paying the bill. Don't go starting a "save POS" fund or anything!
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 05:45:05 PM
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 05:45:05 PM »

REPLY TIME

I myself don't get the point of deleting POS from the internet forever. By the way what exactly do you mean by "ending POS"? Do you mean the forum we're on IRL right now? The old archived forum? The webpage that still exist in website form that just show the same shit on the forum in a fancy layout?

"Ending POS" could be archiving it, deleting it, some mixture of those two, or something else not listed here. Or it could be nothing at all. I kind of purposefully didn't specify that when writing the post because I wanted to see what interpretations you guys came up with.

There's some quality (and not so quality) shit on all of these sites and I know for a fact at least one person here (me) treasures the memories and nostalgia that was created on everything as a whole. If all these pages were gone I'd literally feel like there was a hole where a creeper exploded in my house (minecraft joke LOL!).

I don't see what having these sites up and able to be viewed at/posted on is hurting but I do see what not having them be around would be hurting. I only assume that a few others feel the same way about it that I do. I also wouldn't have anything to do at times when I get insanely bored, want to see what friends are talking about (I don't go on twitter or anything), or laugh at their funny shitposts on my favorite web based forum board format.

I haven't really browsed POS just to pass time in years (excluding today, of course). But if some of you do, that's good to know. I didn't know that before.

And tbh I think it's a tad selfish how you feel like bring the end of days because of something you have a nitpick with, I'm glad you took the time to ask everyone but it feels like you doing it whatever anyone says and your mind is already made up.

I'll admit that there's a bit of trolling going on with that first post I made. My mind isn't made up at all. But I wanted responses to be written as if my mind is made up. I don't think I'd have gotten the same quality of responses if I made it sound more hypothetical.

I'd love to post and have fun there again but alot of the stuff I used to dig is gone.  I dont know most of the folks who were there at the end and alot of the custom stuff we had is toast on new POS Forum Lite.  Besides new pos chat (which is really rad that still happens) Is about stuff I never was into mostly. Maybe I should have made more attempts to change the conversation to stuff I liked but that felt kinda lame towards the rest of the guys.  IDK I hope pos is around forever in a way because its a (incredibly embarassing) link that binds us together. That while everyone has gone off to do there thing theres always the chance we could get the band back together like the old days.  Its a complex feeling.

I've felt this way too. We've kind of drifted apart in terms of common interests, and I guess posting for the sake of posting just isn't as fun as it used to be. I think this is on all of us. We stopped posting, which caused other people to stop posting, and so on. Have any of us really, truly wanted POS to be active in the past few years? If so, why didn't we do anything to make it happen?

It is nice to always have something of a "home base" to drop in on once in a while, but it would sure help if people checked it and posted more often. Myself most certainly included (I'm a chief offender, checking like once a month tops for the past while).

PS: If it comes down to it I still care enough that I'd prob buy the hosting off you with my grown up moneys :fitzworth:

I'll let you know when the auction goes up.

SHITPOST [LOT] [PRE-OWNED] IMAGEFESTS, MUSIC CONTESTS, MAFIA GAMES, EMOTICONS, IAN CURTIS COMICS, ASSORTED SHITPOSTS *INSTANT COLLECTION!!!*

Please don't delete forum. Thank you

Your welcome

I feel like I should make a post about POS as a whole, considering I don't think I've opened up on this site in years and I've got a lot of things still burrowing in my mind.

Honestly, I just want to apologize. I'm sorry for all the people that I've angered or irritated with my passive-aggressive, thick-headed-ness. I'm sorry for all my really bad, forced humor and crapping the place up with all these image/videofest with my too-bad-even-for-highschool humor. I'm sorry for filling the forums with my dumb school friends who all just made asses of themselves. I'm sorry for anyone I grossed out by spilling any personal information that clued in to how much of a very strange individual I am. And I want to personally apologize to Rick, Krem, Anti, Spat, Static, Ben and whoever else I may or may not have frustrated in my time of knowing them on this site, because I don't think I was ever truly aware at any time what sort of impact I was making on people until it was too late. I've spent a lot of time wishing I had handled our interactions better, because more or less everyone on this site is incredibly important to me.

It's not directed at me, but it's kind of nice to see a post like this.

POS is honestly the place I grew up. Like I was hear since, like, junior high up until now, at least 8 years of my life. I learned a lot about myself and the world while attending this place, and I feel like I gained a sense of humor from some of the best people on the internet. I met people who I'm still close friends with, and even the ones that fell apart, I still remember them more fondly than otherwise. I don't regret the time that I spent playing games and browsing deviantart for ways to entertain the folks on this site... I just wish I had been a tad bit funnier so I could have left a better imprint~.

You're telling me! In a couple years, if POS is still around, it'll have existed for fully half my life (it being 15, me being 30). I never would have thought back in high school that the people I was palling around with on my Angelfire website and Proboards forum would be people I'm still in touch with over a decade later. It's insane how much impact this ended up having on my life.

There's never really going to be another place like this, and it's not something I honestly could ever forget. I would probably elaborate more but I'm bad with words. And also most of what I have to say is "I REGRET EVERYTHING".

As far as I understand, in response to the other posts, I assume most of this website going down has to do with money, cuz no sense paying for a site in full of no one is going to use it. I honestly thought about paying for it myself, but I think it would be perfect if we had a handful of people paying for a portion of it just to keep the place around for archive purposes. ((and also i use the webspace a lot so that would be win-win for me~~~))

I've definitely made mistakes, but I think I'm better off having learned from them than I would be having not made them at all. So I'm not sure if I'd really say I have any real regrets with POS. How about you?

(I've been writing this post in pieces throughout the day. There may be inconsistencies in what I say or what I appear to think.)

Truth be told, I never really wanted to delete or "end" POS. I have no good reason to want to just throw out something that's been such a big part of my life. But it has been pretty sad to see how inactive it's been lately, and I've been wondering what everyone else thinks about these sorts of things. It's clear to me now that at least some of you really want to keep POS around, even if you don't post on it much. I'm glad you feel that way.

POS will stay online. And it'll stay open for posting too. None of the content is going anywhere, no matter how incredibly shitty it is.

Thanks, everyone.

I'm going to go make a shitty Junk Heap thread now. Excuse me.
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 05:46:23 PM
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »

Also, let me know if you think the forum needs anything to become a funner posting environment. I'm willing to add some wikkid sikk emoticons.
Rick
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 06:44:59 PM
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »

we should have a tourney of best former emotes and the best ones can be added. Also dont delte pos since this forum has the best images at the top
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 06:48:34 PM
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »

we should have a tourney of best former emotes and the best ones can be added.

Sounds like you just volunteered to run this! Here's the old list. Have fun!

http://thedailypos.org/misc/emotes.htm
Rick
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 06:55:29 PM
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »

SON OF A 
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 07:32:53 PM
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »

Well, glad that was taken care of.

In all seriousness, before this was all figured out, my opinion was, "as long as we can download an archive." I'm not a regular on the forum (whoop fourth post!!!) and save for the odd interactions or whatever Rick tells me, I've definitely drifted away from the group. Not because anyone drove me away, but because interests changed and my general embarrassment of my 14-year-old self.

I don't think I had a lot of shared interests with people to begin with (that, and crippling social anxiety that's now medicated). About the only things that bound me here were video games and the style of humor, since I find myself lost in various other topics brought up in the Skype chat. I definitely don't regret the people I've met and the friends I've made even if we don't have a lot in common anymore (especially since I married one of you people). I don't mind chatting with any of you on Skype, but like Rick, a lot of the newer people I don't really know (that, and the regret of how annoying I probably was at that age), so it's like walking into a room full of strangers all over again.

I like to think I'm less socially awkward now and have a better sense of humor, since I've gone back and read old things I was involved in like Coral Mayhems and found myself cringing at some of my attempts at a joke especially compared to everyone else. The online friends I talk to more regularly don't know a lot about me in that era, and I'm quick to shut down any mentioning of a certain kangaroo. I've moved on more into original content sort of things (working on a novel now, and previously it was comics), so I find myself more involved in character discussions or story scenarios than I do about anime or games. There was a period for awhile where I just dropped games all together save for Pokemon, and that interest only came back after the medicine (less obsessing over work and being overly critical of myself). So, that didn't really help in terms of connecting with POS people again once the Skype chat opened.

tl;dr That was a round-about way of saying, "The choice is yours entirely of what you want to do with this place, but I'd like to at least have a momento like an archive." I don't post anymore because I was an awkward fuck and embarrassed of how I was, along with change of interests. I was never "drove away" by anyone (don't worry, SK), nor was my parting of a result of any sort of negative feelings for this place.
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 08:11:02 PM
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »

It's not just you. I think everyone on POS has a dead kangaroo in their closet somewhere.

I read through some of my old Doom imagefest today. Some of it's held up alright, and some of the lines were things I'd be proud to come up with today. But a lot of it is either kind of cringey or just way different from my current sense of humor and/or writing style. I definitely wouldn't want any of that stuff to be someone's first impression of me, that's for sure. But it's nice that it's online so I can look back at it and have a good facepalm from time to time.

Can't really say much about the common interests thing. We all like what we like. Maybe we should have a pokémon battle sometime. I should finish that fossil team I was making...
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 08:18:08 PM
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 08:18:08 PM »

I got a pretty rad team based around Pangoro whenever you're ready.
Permalink  •  May 16, 2015, 08:29:57 PM
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »

* Soaprman looks up Pangoro's abilities and a list of fossil pokémon that can learn TM666: PangoroFucker
Pages: [1] 2 3