POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Topic: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King  (Read 13119 times)
Permalink  •  July 05, 2015, 10:05:20 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »

The elves move in and quickly bind Pepe's wrists - not seeming to notice his hidden dagger.
The wererat is dragged to his feet. The elves remove his helmet and bind him as well. Some blood is trickling down from his forehead. "I'm uh, hurt pretty bad here..." "Yes," says the Eladrin, "Yes you are. That might help convince me the little gnome here isn't in league with you rodents."
The remaining bowmen put their weapons away and raise Tequila to her feet, quickly binding her wrists as well. The Eladrin, having not paid her much notice thus far, glances over to her - then does a small double-take and glances again. "And what of you, miss? How did you become wrapped up with lowlives and vermin like this?" She seems to have calmed down considerably since being dragged around be the wererats, and responds almost conversationally, "Oh, Pepe and I are part of a caravan journey. We just happened to get a little lost in the woods here. You seem very well-traveled in these woods - maybe you'll help us back to our camp, mister...?" The Eladrin grins. "Eupatorium. And yes, miss, I may help you - but I'm afraid I must still take you all with us to ask a few questions first. Be gentle with that one, Elves," he adds, addressing his companions, "Now let's return to Eggdrassil."

Bandit E glances nervously toward the path back into the woods. "Alright, party's over here - time for me to split!"
(Disengage check = 3)
The wererat turns to run away, but Rapsutin holds him in place with a single hand on the shoulder. The wererat turns back to face Rasputin, fear now obvious in his expression. He soon lets out a snarl, though, and attempts another bite. He again lunges with his sharp teeth, but sinks them only into Rasputin's shield, chipping a couple fangs slightly.
*THUD* "That's for taking Taqi!" as a pair of fists slam down on the Wererat's head. In the chaos following other bandits' departure and Pepe's flight, Pepito seems to have snuck up behind the enemy. The wererat is dropped to his knees by the force of the heavy blow, at which point the twins, having gained their feet, rush over. They produce short daggers from their boots and drive them into the bandit with excited shouts. "We did it!" "We have slain bandit!" "We have saved day!"

Jeb steps out from his spot behind a wagon. He surveys the campsite, now empty except for Rasputin, Pepito, the brothers, and three dead wererat bandits.
"...Welp."

[We're out of initiative, but since we're split up (interesting in this format) I'll be specific with prompts.]
As Ruth/Tanya/Phaedra and Pepe/Tequila proceed on different paths into the forest, what will Rasputin do? Also, does he have any orders for this motley crew of NPCs?
In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  July 05, 2015, 10:24:39 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »

"Jesus what in the hell is going on in there...  Jeb! You got a plan or should I just wing it?" Rasputin wrangles the NPC babies trying to get them to finish celebrating  "We better get after them but I dont thing you should be alone out here."
Permalink  •  July 05, 2015, 10:38:14 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2015, 10:38:14 PM »

"Yep, I'll stay here and hold down the fort. Tesla, I'm countin' on you to make sure both Tequila and Alice come back safe. It's up to you which one you go after first, but ya better hurry! And yeah, make sure'n leave at least one pair of hands here."
In west Goomba Village born and raised
Rick
  • In west Goomba Village born and raised
Permalink  •  July 05, 2015, 11:36:18 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2015, 11:36:18 PM »

"Aw shit...  Pepperoni! Go save your girlfriend ya doofus! Pepe may need the help and besides you kinda beefed it while she was watching!" Rasputin wheels around and scans the area for dangers before starting in the direction Alice went in  (wis 1d20+4 = 11 blargle)

"Keep a eye on Jeb dorfs! You keep him safe through this mess and I'll tell you a lead about some treasure I know of. (bluff cha 1d20+4 = 24 CRIT)"  Rasputin gives a manly nod that speaks of the volumes of treasure filled adventures he has gone on.  as he trundles after the squishy baby team his mustache appears to glint like gold from the lighting.

After he gets out of direct sight he starts wondering where the hell the others got off to
Permalink  •  July 08, 2015, 04:06:41 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2015, 04:06:41 PM »

"What bothers me," Tanya says, "well, aside from the fact that we're delving into a forest that will be incredibly strange and dangerous if even half the legends about it are true, is um, Tequila getting kidnapped like that. I mean, when it comes to 'strange and dangerous', wererat bandits have got nothing on her."
There isn't much time to ponder this; Phaedra and Rasputin soon catch up, and the four of you proceed down the path. Soon you reach the two tall, orange mushrooms. The air becomes even more humid here, and takes on a punget aroma that seems strangely familiar.
Beyond the mushrooms, which form a sort of arch over the pathway, the forest opens up into an otherworldly sight. There is a wide bog. Aside from a few patches, the earth is submerged in a thick, orange sludge, which churns in slow currents throughout the area. Numerous smaller mushrooms are scattered around, all orange with white spots.
There's a signboard near one of the tall mushrooms on the path.

"YOU ENTER THE DEMENSE
OF THE RAT KING:
THE FEY'EL BOG."

There are a couple of average-sized rats crawling around on the patches of earth. A tall, rectangular stone stands in the center of the area; it's about eight feet tall, and five feet across on each side.
There are two paths out of this area, both framed by similar tall, arch-like mushrooms.



What do you do?

[Coming soon: The Adventures of Pepe]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:27:07 PM by Mia Kris »
Permalink  •  July 08, 2015, 08:02:43 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2015, 08:02:43 PM »

"The Rat King, huh? I wonder if it's a man who lords over rats, or a rat of royal heritage, or just a were rat who thinks very highly of himself." Phaedra says, while trying to remember if she has ever heard a story about a rat king.
(Int roll: 1d20+3 = 5.)
Phaedra's eyes brighten, "Oh my Kord! Could this be the famous king who slew the World Salamanca?!"
Tanya sighs and says, "That's the Raton Lord... they're completely different."
Phaedra frowns, "Oh... well then, maybe this marsh has a clue then."
Phaedra takes a few steps into the clearing and tries to spot anything interesting. (Wis: 1d20+1 = 13)
Permalink  •  July 09, 2015, 01:54:41 AM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2015, 01:54:41 AM »

Out of the corner of your eye, you think you see someone moving around near the tall stone. When you look in that direction again, you can't see anyone.
Permalink  •  July 10, 2015, 01:16:31 AM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2015, 01:16:31 AM »

Spoiler for Pepe's Quest:
And so, you and Tequila are led deeper into the woods by Eupatorium and the five Elves. They are Elves - you confirm it when some of them venture to pull back their hoods, revealing distinctive pointed ears, but less fantastical features than the Eladrin himself.
The forest remains thick, lit by continually present fireflies as well as some unfamiliar luminescent lichens. As you proceed on, the Elves picking easy paths though the thick underbrush, the trees get bigger and bigger. Some of them seem several dozen feet tall, and wide enough to build a house in.
Eupatorium refrains from making much conversation during the hike, though you do notice him making frequent glances at Tequila - at least one of which she seems to have returned with a sly wink. Eventually, though, the Eladrin speaks up.
"We're almost back. Though our mission cannot be counted a success, I suppose you Elves didn't completely bungle things up - I might make good reports about some of you, if I end up remembering any of your names." Some of the elves glance uneasily at each other, but say nothing. Eupatorium continues, addressing you and Tequila, "As for you two - our honored guests," (a slight chuckle), "I should tell you that you're likely to be questioned by- Hold there, everyone!" He's stopped walking, and holds both hands up. Once all eyes are upon him, he lowers one hand to point directly at a particularly tall and wide tree. "That tree. That's the one!" One of the elves shuffles nervously. "...sir?" "I say that's the tree where that damned creature was living!" He walks somewhat manically over to the tree and gives it a swift kick. Most of the elves flinch. There's a bit of a hollow "thump" noise, but little else happens. "Gah! Nothing to do since it crawled into that hole." He points to a circular hole at the base of the tree, just a couple feet across. "If only there was some way to get in there and nab the bastard, I'd- wait."
Eupatorium turns to you.
"You there, Sir Gnome," he says, almost suppressing condescension, "Something very important was taken from me by a creature that lives in that tree - the entrance to which is only suited to someone of your, ah, unique stature. If you follow my instructions and retrieve my lost item, things may be simpler for you when you are brought to Eggdrassil. What say you, hm?"
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  July 10, 2015, 02:23:34 AM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2015, 02:23:34 AM »

Spoiler for peep:
"Well, gee, since you asked so nicely." Pepe spits out his reply, gnashing his teeth. " "But I won't be retrieving much of anything like this," he adds, motioning to his arms.

Permalink  •  July 10, 2015, 10:02:25 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »

Spoiler for Pepe's Quest:
"What do you mean, you won't be retrieving much of anything like those? Why would I want you to retrieve tied-up arms?" One of the elves says, "Sir, I think he meant-" "QUIET! Of course I know what he meant. Sure, sure, untie him. Now look here," continues Eupatorium, "We'll be keeping watch over the tree - and the madame here - so it's not like you'll be able to pull any trickery, all right? Just get in that tree and find what was taken from me. It's just a little square wooden box, a few inches across. Don't concern yourself with opening it, it's locked anyway. As for dealing with whatever that thing is that took it, well... I'd love to provide you with a weapon, but you gnomes have all sorts of magic anyway, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Now go."

As you ready yourself to crawl into the narrow hole in the tree, Tequila walks over to you. The elves who have been leading her along look as nervous as ever, but don't actually do anything. She leans down and whispers to you, "I'll work on getting this guy to be a little nicer. Have fun in the tree there - but if you run into real trouble, just say my name and I'll be there..." As she rises to walk away, she blows a kiss, leaving a tingling feeling on your cheek that is almost certainly supernatural.

The hole leading inside the tree is a tight fit even for a halfling, but with some wriggling and crawling you manage to make it in. After going in for just a few feet, the hole opens up and reveals that the tree is almost entirely hollowed out.


(Grey space is outside thine vision)

There are two carved-out paths to the left and right, with a long wall in the center. Near the wall are a couple candles throwing flickering light around the interior of the tree, as well as a speckled egg. A small pile of bones sits to your left, and a hole leading deeper toward the roots is to your right.
You hear something rustling around on the other side of the wall.

What do you do?



Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  July 10, 2015, 10:23:08 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2015, 10:23:08 PM »

Spoiler for Crandel Caravan 2: Pepe's Kong Quest:
Pepe briefly considers what kind of creature might have left an egg like that (Knowledge (Eggs): d20+1 = 4 ) before losing interest and wondering why he would have even cared to begin with. Getting back to the task at hand, Pepe quietly shuffles over to the left edge of the wall and peeks around the corner (Sneakin': d20+6 = 17), picking up a bone along the way.

Permalink  •  July 11, 2015, 12:03:52 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »

Spoiler for Pepe's Quest:


You sneak a sneaky peek around the corner. Moving about near the back of the tree, sleek purple skin shimmering in the flickering candlelight, is a Salamanca. It walks on its hind legs, busying itself by picking something up from a stone table and dropping it into a simmering cauldron. There are two small, elegantly carved wooden chests in the other corner. Another hole in the floor is visible beyond the table.

Now what?

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  July 11, 2015, 12:21:15 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »

Spoiler for Crandelvania 2: Pepe's Quest:
Are either of the two chests small enough to be the box the guy was talking about? Also: WHAT is a salamanca (Knowledge (Salamancas) d20+1 = 3).... is a question that will continue to haunt Pepe for the remainder of his days.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:24:41 PM by Scrow Funk »

Permalink  •  July 11, 2015, 12:24:10 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2015, 12:24:10 PM »

Spoiler for Hidden:
Are either of the two chests small enough to be the box the guy was talking about?

Nope, he said "a couple inches", each of these chests are a couple feet across.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  July 11, 2015, 12:30:11 PM
Re: The Crandel Caravan in: Rage of the Rat King
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »

Spoiler for For Pepe's Eye's Only:
Pepe takes the bone he picked up and flings it towards the eastern wall, hoping to distract the mysterious Salamanca. (d20+6 = 14)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9