POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Join the adventure: Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 5036 times)
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 07, 2012, 04:12:08 PM
Join the adventure: Kingdom of Loathing
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

Kingdom of Loathing is a browser-based RPG. It has stick figures, fantastic writing and a pretty great community (except for that one time I ran into Isao on the forums). I've been playing it since 2005 and figured I might see if I can drum up some interest for it here.

Now, some of you might have played it back in the day. I think something to that effect has been mentioned some time in #melee when I've brought the game up.

But if you played it a few years ago, even just one year ago, what you'd be returning to is something else entirely. The game has changed a LOT in recent times, much of it to make the game friendlier to new players. And hostile to old players! Just kidding.

But for those of you who don't know anything about it, let me give you a short introduction.

Choose your class!

From the brawny Seal Clubbers to the sneaky Accordion Thieves, there's six fun classes to choose from, each with their own suite of skills and playing styles. For low-skilled players, moxie classes - Disco Bandits and Accordion Thieves - are usually regarded as the easiest to play, and the Mysticality classes - Pastamancers and Saucerors - usually require the most preparation. That said, it's perfectly possible to play any class at any skill level.

Fight the monsters!

Pictured are only a few of the many different (and funny) enemies you can encounter on your way. They are, of course, there for you to conquer so you can get the sweet experience points, the piles of meat (currency) and, of course, the phat loot.

Bring a friend!

No adventurer goes alone. Many fun little familiars are available, providing various functions, either helping you fight your enemies, giving you more experience points, increasing item drop chance, and assorted other acts of assistance. Give them good names, a good home and learn how to use them effectively for maximum profit!

Start over!

Wait, what?

Yes. When you "beat" the game, as in finish all main quests and beat the final boss, you are given the option to ascend. You pick a class, and start over from level 1. But that is not all! You also get to keep one or more skills from your former life, and get some other bonuses for your new round. Ascending repeatedly and building up a skill set is a key to playing the game well, and helps keeping the game fresh, even after having played it for many years. Just look at me, seven years down the line and 120 ascensions! Something introduced a bit over a year ago was seasonal challenge paths, slightly different ways of playing the game that gives you extra Karma - the currency with which you "buy" skills from your former life to be taken into your next one - while they are in season. Out of season challenge paths can still be played, though, and doesn't give any LESS Karma than playing without one - some old challenge paths, especially Avatar of Boris, can be a good idea for a newer player.

Well, I think that's all the introduction you need. Give it a try if you feel like it!

Oh, wait, one more thing.

Join a clan!

When you reach level 3 in the game, you can join a clan. I, uh, head one called Random Gamers and Candy Clan, so, uh, if you're actually going to start playing, send an application when you can!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:45:16 PM by KennyMan666 »

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  August 07, 2012, 04:57:14 PM
Re: Join the adventure: Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:57:14 PM »

:wow:

This looks like fun!  But you might want to fix that url.
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 07, 2012, 05:45:48 PM
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »

How the fuck did I manage that, I KNOW HOW URL TAGS WORK

Fixed.

I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  August 07, 2012, 08:38:31 PM
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »

thread has inspired me to check this out again after years since last trying it  :thumbsup:

Permalink  •  August 07, 2012, 08:45:04 PM
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:04 PM »

Is this like Progress Quest? I love Progress Quest.
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 08, 2012, 04:06:37 AM
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 04:06:37 AM »

It's like Progress Quest but with graphics and more clicking on things.

Also, here's an item for you.

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  March 14, 2014, 11:23:29 AM
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »

Bumping this due to a new character creation system that basically lets you start playing the game without registering anything and then register with an e-mail only if you want to save your progress and continue playing when you log out.

So give it a shot!

I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Jack
  • I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Permalink  •  March 14, 2014, 12:57:10 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »

This looks interesting.
2 minute into the game, Toot Oriole. A/5 would play again

"Always remember, stay flappy" -Soaprman 2014
Permalink  •  March 14, 2014, 03:11:32 PM
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

I read that entire first post before I got to my reply and realized I had read it before.
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  March 14, 2014, 06:18:35 PM
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »

Toot Oriole
This is the most common instance of OH GOD I JUST GOT THE JOKE on the forums and in chat!

Pages: [1]