POSFriends
thinking about breaking the forum for old time's sake :)
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Topic: Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold  (Read 14752 times)
Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 08:17:42 PM
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »

Hey look, it's the new EO game. Let's play it!

For those who don't know, Etrian Odyssey is a dungeon crawler where you slowly progress through a giant labyrinth and draw maps of the floors as you go. Sometimes you fight enemies and sometimes you get your shit ruined.

Here's the intro video that plays when you turn on the game in case you want to watch it.

Don't get too attached to those characters, because we won't ever be seeing most of them again!

See, those characters were mostly from Story mode, which we're not playing. Nosiree, we're going Classic, and you'll soon see why!

By the way, there are three difficulty levels (Picnic, Standard, Expert). You can change it freely while you're in town. I'll be playing on Standard for any on-camera battles. My general approach will be to play areas the first time on Standard but kick it down to Picnic for backtracking or fetch quests just to save time.

This is a remake of Etrian Odyssey 2, which is the only EO game I haven't played for any meaningful amount of time. So I don't know for sure whether there are actually dragons. But there probably are!

The game gives us some expository text. I'll be typing it in fancy boxes instead of posting a wall of screenshots, as usual.

In the far north, deep in the mountains, the Grand Duchy of High Lagaard rests in the shade of a colossal, sacred tree. This holy tree, revered by the people, is called Yggdrasil. Legend tells that the tree is connected to an unseen castle in the sky.

Then, one day, the people of High Lagaard discovered a mysterious labyrinth within the legendary tree, filled with monsters! The ruling Duke issued a formal decree to investigate the Labyrinth, and to discover the truth behind the fabled floating castle. The legend of the castle and the news of the mysterious Labyrinth drew many explorers from all over the continent... ...But though countless hopefuls tried, none could conquer the Labyrinth, and its depths remained shrouded in mystery.

...You are yet another among the legions of explorers arriving at the Grand Duchy of High Lagaard, after hearing of the legends. Your quest is to reach the floating castle and find your fame and fortune within the vast Labyrinth. The city of Lagaard awaits!

In story mode, things develop gradually and story things happen and eventually you get to a point where you care about getting to the top of the Labyrinth. In classic mode, it's just like, "here's the maze, beat the game, good luck, have fun"!

I bet these people get incredible amounts of bird shit on the rooves of their houses being under a big tree like that.

The bustle and chatter of the busy city surrounds you as you take your first steps into the square of High Lagaard. It appears that the animated city is full of explorers... Since you yourself came to make a name for yourself as an explorer, you should register at the Explorers Guild.

Well, I guess you don't leave me much of a choice, do you?

The place is filled with the sounds of hammers swinging and bells ringing. Alright, maybe not.

Here's the guildmaster. Her voice clips have an echo applied to them to make them sound like they're coming from within a suit of metal armor, which is kind of neat.

Marion
Hm...? I've never seen you before. You've come to explore the Labyrinth, I assume? If you wish to become an explorer, you must first establish a guild. A guild exists as a group of comrades that aid each other through the perilous Labyrinth. So how about it, explorers...? Well, it's the first day of the new year. Shall we commemorate it with a new guild?

Of course we are!

Marion
Good enthusiasm. That's what I like to see, explorer. Just write the desired name for your guild on this line. I'm sure that many in this city will welcome a new guild with open arms.

I'm leaving this up to you guys. Everyone suggest a guild name and I'll pick the one I like most (or the one enough of you like most if you can all rally behind a single name).

Now, normally we'd have to wait for user input before proceeding here, but with the power of TIME TRAVEL (i.e. using the name "???" and not saving afterward), I'll skip ahead to the next part that requires user input.

We need to get ourselves some adventurers together! Everyone suggest party members, including name (max 9 characters), class, and portrait. If more than five are suggested, I'll use the ones I like the most. If less than five are suggested, then I'll make up some to fill the gaps I guess (and also that means you guys are total lame-os). The only restriction is one party member per class. I'm not a masochist!

You guys can collaborate on party members too if you want.

Here are the classes, their descriptions, and portraits. When referring to portraits, call them 1-4 (1 being the one on the left).

Spoiler for Hidden:

For some reason, Sovereign has eight portrait choices (the last four are palette swaps). Call them 5-8 if you pick one.

There's also a "Highlander" class but it's DLC and kind of overpowered I hear so I'll be going without it.

I'll go with any team that has five unique classes in it. I can make it work! So don't worry about what you pick. I don't even need a Medic (in fact, I usually play EO games without using Medics).

So let's go! Get those choices in!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:33:59 PM by Soaprman »
I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Jack
  • I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 08:40:20 PM
Re: Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:20 PM »

I'm gonna bank on War Magus #3 - Ol' Hank :cranky:
EDIT: LANDSHARX is acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:48:11 PM by Jack »

"Always remember, stay flappy" -Soaprman 2014
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 08:42:14 PM
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

Guild name: LANDSHARKS

Every party needs a leader, so I nominate Sovereign #2, "O.Josamma"

Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 08:47:01 PM
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »

Guild: I support LANDSHARX or variations thereof

Gunner 3 - Violence :gunviolence:
Beast 4 - I support Pangoro
Sovereign 1 - JimARoni
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:27:54 PM by Malik »

[7:40:34 PM] soaprman: um.... like *flicks hair for a minute straight* i wasnt like... talkin to u

Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • Hentai Governer General
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 08:56:14 PM
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »

Guild name: Supergods

Kewl dudes:
Ronin #4: Harukasan
Gunner #2: Patricia
Sovereign #4: Shijou
Survivalist #4: Gyro
Dark Hunter #2: Afu
War Magus: #4: Iori

:kermit:

Quote from:  Jon's deaf friend
I may not know english can good but meet me at sign class and I woop your ass at sign language
Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

Medic 3 - Battler
Troubadour 4 - LetsDance
Gunner 3 - Snake
Beast 4 - Pangoro

Quote from: Lolicon Jon
i got anime of all tastes and sizes
come down to jon's anime emporium where we can satisfy your anime needs
1000 episode shounens, WE GOT IT
men(or little boys) kissing and loving each other, WE GOT IT
Nosebleeds from seeing the tiniest bit of skin of a woman, WE GOT IT
so come on down to jon's anime emporium down on the highway
like right on the highway
Permalink  •  August 12, 2015, 09:48:13 PM
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »

Since there are lots of suggestions already, I'm going to need you guys to narrow down your choices some. If I have so many options, it's not much different from picking my own party!

If you suggested several, maybe remove ones you're not as enthusiastic about. Or start agreeing with other posters on which ones to go with.

I'll probably start playing Friday night or sometime Saturday, so you have until then!
Permalink  •  August 13, 2015, 01:20:26 AM
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »

I'll trim to two then

Troubadour 4 - LetsDance
Beast 4 - Pangoro

Quote from: Lolicon Jon
i got anime of all tastes and sizes
come down to jon's anime emporium where we can satisfy your anime needs
1000 episode shounens, WE GOT IT
men(or little boys) kissing and loving each other, WE GOT IT
Nosebleeds from seeing the tiniest bit of skin of a woman, WE GOT IT
so come on down to jon's anime emporium down on the highway
like right on the highway
Permalink  •  August 13, 2015, 03:27:43 AM
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 03:27:43 AM »

I updated my original post.

[7:40:34 PM] soaprman: um.... like *flicks hair for a minute straight* i wasnt like... talkin to u

Hentai Governer General
Lolicon Jon
  • Hentai Governer General
  • WAHAHA
Permalink  •  August 13, 2015, 07:14:19 AM
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:19 AM »

I can settle with 4

Ronin #4: Harukasan
Gunner #2: Patricia
Dark Hunter #2: Afu

Quote from:  Jon's deaf friend
I may not know english can good but meet me at sign class and I woop your ass at sign language
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 13, 2015, 09:17:10 AM
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »

I can support LANDSHARX as our guild.

Ronin #4: Momohime (because she reminds me of the Muramasa Momohime)
Beast #1: Princess
War Magus #3: Wakamoto (just look at that badass motherfucker, he's clearly the team leader. Named after the most badass of voice actors who'd totally voice this guy in the animated adaptation of LANDSHARX)

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  August 13, 2015, 06:28:37 PM
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »

Gunner 3 - Violence :gunviolence:

Beast 4 - Pangoro

War Magus #3: Wakamoto (just look at that badass motherfucker, he's clearly the team leader. Named after the most badass of voice actors who'd totally voice this guy in the animated adaptation of LANDSHARX)

Permalink  •  August 14, 2015, 05:58:26 PM
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:58:26 PM »

[5:53:45 PM] soaprman: last night to get EO suggestions in
[5:54:11 PM] soaprman: if nobody else posts i'll prob go with the four scrow yeah'd plus o.josamma
Permalink  •  August 14, 2015, 07:09:47 PM
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »

Vote time!

I'm cool with Beast 4 and War Magus 3, +1 to each of them and their names. I also support LANDSHARX.

My original suggestions would be
Hexer 1: Doc
Troubadour 4: Inara

because who doesn't love a good support/debuff class? Well, I assume as much as I've never played this game. I'm just going off the descriptions.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Permalink  •  August 15, 2015, 07:17:20 AM
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 07:17:20 AM »

Voting's closed. You'll know who made the team when I make my next post (later today). Thanks for the input, everyone!
Pages: [1] 2 3