POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Topic: M.U.S.C.L.E. Mario User Submitted Creative Levels Enterprise  (Read 40185 times)
Permalink  •  September 16, 2015, 11:45:22 AM
Re: M.U.S.C.L.E. Mario User Submitted Creative Levels Enterprise
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »

That's the plan! Those upload slots won't pay for themselves, after all! I figure Mushroom Zoo Incident is the closest thing I have to a "flagship level" and everyone who plays it seems to like it so getting it some exposure is doing both me a favor (stars) and other people a favor (cool level they wouldn't have seen otherwise).

I've also found a few pretty good levels posted on reddit, so it goes both ways. If I want to play levels from random people, I'll go there before relying on the likes of 100 Mario Challenge.

By the way, I've heard it speculated that the number of stars needed to get another 10 slots increases by 50 with each medal. So the pattern is:

0 stars: 10 slots
50 stars: 20 slots
150 stars: 30 slots
300 stars: 40 slots
500 stars: 50 slots

etc. I don't plan on maxing out, of course. You probably need to be a YouTube celeb to pull that off!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:47:41 AM by Soaprman »
Permalink  •  September 16, 2015, 07:16:11 PM
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »

Just fill up the slots with mediocre levels and you'll get there, all of my levels get 1-5 medals a day.
i don't care
Draino
  • i don't care
Permalink  •  September 16, 2015, 07:31:05 PM
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2015, 07:31:05 PM »

follow me!

Bowser's Bounce House
EA50-0000-0043-B363

"not too incredibly stupid" - Soap
Permalink  •  September 16, 2015, 09:19:47 PM
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »

Just fill up the slots with mediocre levels and you'll get there, all of my levels get 1-5 medals a day.

This is certainly what I'll end up doing. Every level can't be amazing! I only have so many great ideas before I have to start digging through the so-so ones.
Permalink  •  September 17, 2015, 04:37:38 AM
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2015, 04:37:38 AM »

I've just uploaded my newest and most ambitious level. A GHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST HOUSE

(9B85-0000-0045-6865)

No but seriously I'm kinda nervous about this one, hoping everything goes as I hoped it would.

Quote from: Lolicon Jon
i got anime of all tastes and sizes
come down to jon's anime emporium where we can satisfy your anime needs
1000 episode shounens, WE GOT IT
men(or little boys) kissing and loving each other, WE GOT IT
Nosebleeds from seeing the tiniest bit of skin of a woman, WE GOT IT
so come on down to jon's anime emporium down on the highway
like right on the highway
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 17, 2015, 06:45:42 PM
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »

I present Don't eat the mushroom! - E1D3-0000-0047-E064

For an added challenge, go for all 100 coins.

Then there's Bomb Man, the first stage I completed and was mostly me learning the editor and shit: FE01-0000-0047-5BA7

Probably mostly going to go for the short style of levels right now.

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  September 17, 2015, 10:52:55 PM
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »

Soapr, Spectral Procession is sooo good.
Permalink  •  September 18, 2015, 08:33:35 AM
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:35 AM »

Tricked a very nice redditor into playing a level of mine:
Click to load
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:35:40 AM by Pancakes »
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 18, 2015, 04:15:03 PM
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 04:15:03 PM »

I literally spent all day on Fortress in the sky: (see later post for updated version)

Might still want to do some small adjustment, but yeah. Edit: Yeah that's going to happen before I go to bed probably.

Magikoopas are pretty good at being rude.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:07:56 PM by KennyMan666 »

I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  September 18, 2015, 04:51:11 PM
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »

Here's some of my better levels I made. Follow me to see more! I'm getting better with the editor:

F943-0000-003F-1BB0 - Ghoulish Level

04BF-0000-0034-52C4 - Mario's Cruise

EA89-0000-001A-C939 - Spooky Boss Rush

Honorable Mention:

E6CE-0000-0045-52FD - Boswer and Son's Castle
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:54:10 PM by Namine »

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 18, 2015, 07:08:35 PM
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2015, 07:08:35 PM »

Fortress in the sky, redux: A95D-0000-004C-5981

Permalink  •  September 18, 2015, 11:59:04 PM
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 11:59:04 PM »

Tricked a very nice redditor into playing a level of mine:
Click to load

I'm glad he provided that weird ass echo effect to enhance the feeling of being underwater!

Quote from: Lolicon Jon
i got anime of all tastes and sizes
come down to jon's anime emporium where we can satisfy your anime needs
1000 episode shounens, WE GOT IT
men(or little boys) kissing and loving each other, WE GOT IT
Nosebleeds from seeing the tiniest bit of skin of a woman, WE GOT IT
so come on down to jon's anime emporium down on the highway
like right on the highway
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 19, 2015, 08:27:40 PM
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2015, 08:27:40 PM »

Another stage happened, The forgotten deep: CFE7-0000-0052-E563

And with that, I figure it might be interesting to talk about what kind of creative processes people have when making stages. Do you think out the entire stage beforehand, or do you just start building and it becomes what it becomes, or how do you do? For my last two stages, I've basically started with deciding on an engine and theme, and then a few "keywords" to adhere to. I'm finding it's a good way to do it.

So for Fortress in the sky, I had decided on "SMB3 airship", and started building one. Placed four pipes where there's now three, and had this idea of a barrier that you needed to get things from different interior sections to pass. But I couldn't come up with a good way to do it. I mentioned I was making an airship stage on IRC, and someone suggested "with lava pits", which I first said was impossible since that's only doable in Castle setting - but then I realized I could make the interior sections Castle, and then it all clicked. So I decided on "choose one of three paths" for the first interior part, and then have one large with stronger enemies leading up to a boss fight. (I'll probably reupload that stage with some primarily cosmetic adjustments, btw, now that I understand better how a certain thing works)

The forgotten deep started with "NSMB ghost house", with the keywords of "nonlinear", "not immediately apparent way to the exit" and "walljumping required" (and unofficially "no Boo rings", because Boo rings suck). Decided to make the ghost house part a subsection, and then, well, the different paths and how they would link with each other grew from the first branching path. It being a subsection reached by giong downwards in a pipe provided the name of the level, too.

So what's your process, if you have one?

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 20, 2015, 08:58:47 AM
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2015, 08:58:47 AM »

Gave Fortress in the Sky some very minor touchups, mostly cosmetic. The boss room has been made larger, it's now not possible to reach the exit with only two bombs, you can only get three 1-ups in the stage now and the rooms that did not have their secret 1-ups removed might not have them in the same locations anymore. This should be the absolute final iteration of the level, unless I find something I managed to break in the process.

If you've already played it there's no real compelling reason for you to do so again, but the new code is 27D8-0000-0056-B653.

Permalink  •  September 20, 2015, 10:23:45 AM
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2015, 10:23:45 AM »

I generally start with a concept, decide on some obstacles, then start sticking challenges together until I have a level. Here are some individual stories:

Wiggler's Inside Story
I had this idea before the game came out. One thing I spent some time thinking of in advance was the kind of levels I wanted to make with the limited toolsets before stuff unlocks. I don't remember the chain of thoughts that went into deciding to make a level that takes place inside a giant Wiggler but it is what it is!

Wet Dark Pit
My tools were still really limited but one thing I did have access to was a large amiibo collection! I also wanted to make a water level since I just unlocked water levels right around when I finished making Wiggler's Inside Story. After looking through my amiibos, Dark Pit became the obvious choice. Then I just stuck a water adjective onto his name and pow, level. The actual level design itself was just me wanting to combine water with moving platforms because that seemed like a silly idea.

The Mushroom Zoo Incident
This is another one I thought of in advance. The idea was just "Mario sneaks into the zoo and frees the animals". I liked the idea of going through the zoo once while it's peaceful before going back though it in a more chaotic state, so I did that. The only tool for the job was the P-switch, so the next task was to figure out how to make P-switches stay activated for the entire second half of the level. I ended up hiding a bunch of extra switches so that they fall down when the first one is activated, and placing some so that the giant enemies would press them as you run through. The direction I ended up going is good, I think, but there were some execution mistakes that I would fix if I remade the level (I probably won't because it has like 90+ stars lol).

Please don't move! Love, Bowser
What if there was an auto-level that still let you play Mario? I decided to make a shitty joke level. Just a really medicore auto-mario accompanied by a short, easy level for people who dare to disobey.

Christmas Colors
This is the last of the levels I uploaded that I thought of in advance. I think I thought of the name first then picked elements to work with it. It originally wasn't going to be right-to-left but I found that if approached from the right, Spike Tops follow each other around platforms instead of starting off facing Mario and bumping into each other all the time like they do if you approach from the left. So I put the level in a subworld and just did a small "preview" area in the overworld. This level doesn't seem to tickle many people's fancy. I guess it's just boring or something? I kind of want to delete it so I can reupload it with coins.

Six in a Row
Krem said to me one day something like "you should make a level called Six in a Row, I don't even care what you put in it" so I made a silly level and slapped the name on it. I wanted something that kind of sucks (to go with the name) but is still fun enough to be worth uploading and, well, at least I like the level. I ended up tweaking it some too, which had the added effect of making it my sixth level. Whoa!

Air Force Goom
I was playing around in the editor and I made an airship that looks like a goomba is driving it. I decided the idea was funny enough to extend to a whole level. So I designed a few ships for variety and copypasted them to make most of the map, then made a big ship to finish. I also hit the enemy limit on this level so I had to resort to pipes near the end, which ended up working pretty well! I like how this one came out, but there are a few cheap hits from unseen falling enemies that I might remove if I were to update the map. Also coins. I'd add coins.

My Wigg's
I wanted to have a level called "My ___'s", with some random noun. At first I was going to make an airship level called "My Boat's" but I had just made an airship level so I changed course. I figured "My Wigg's" is a funny name so I worked from there. The level itself was my attempt at a level with a speedrun-oriented path hidden in it (this is also somewhat true of Wiggler's Inside Story). It's possible to run and jump on the first Wiggler, then hold right+run+jump and bounce off enough Wigg's to get a 1-up and land by the lower pipe near the end. Then after making the "speedrun" path, I built other paths to take. Then I just put a big bonus area on top because why not.

Bowser's Evil Test!
Shitty joke level named after a wonderful video. I decided to try to reimagine Rainbow Ride from Super Mario 64, with a few nods to the video added in (the TELEPORTS, the ability to skip the first part, the jumping around during the middle (I used cannons to force this)). The result is... very mediocre. If I ever need to wipe stages for upload slots, this'll be the first to go.

Spectral Procession
For those who don't know, Spectral Procession is a Magic card. I was thinking about Magic cards in the shower or something and thought of this one and how I might design a level to fit the name. I also wanted to play with some of the neat Mario 3 ghost house tiles. Most of the level is just the stuff I naturally built from the tools I had. The autoscrolling was just to go with the "procession" in the name and didn't have a big influence on the level design... I think. I plan on naming more levels after Magic cards in the future.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:25:47 AM by Soaprman »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7