POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Topic: M.U.S.C.L.E. Mario User Submitted Creative Levels Enterprise  (Read 39578 times)
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 20, 2015, 05:28:20 PM
Re: M.U.S.C.L.E. Mario User Submitted Creative Levels Enterprise
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »

My latest, Topsy-Turvy Mountain, is live on F4CE-0000-0059-4F1A.

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  September 22, 2015, 01:00:15 AM
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »

Please don't move! Love, Bowser
What if there was an auto-level that still let you play Mario? I decided to make a shitty joke level. Just a really medicore auto-mario accompanied by a short, easy level for people who dare to disobey.

Wait, was it supposed to kill you if you didn't move? Because it killed me, but because of the title I thought that was joke.

My Wigg's
I wanted to have a level called "My ___'s", with some random noun. At first I was going to make an airship level called "My Boat's" but I had just made an airship level so I changed course. I figured "My Wigg's" is a funny name so I worked from there. The level itself was my attempt at a level with a speedrun-oriented path hidden in it (this is also somewhat true of Wiggler's Inside Story). It's possible to run and jump on the first Wiggler, then hold right+run+jump and bounce off enough Wigg's to get a 1-up and land by the lower pipe near the end. Then after making the "speedrun" path, I built other paths to take. Then I just put a big bonus area on top because why not.

I thought you were intentionally skirting around "Nigg's" there. Especially since you were PootieTang at the time.

Anyway, with my shit:

Yoshi posted a thread
Well, I did upload this like, an hour or so after the game came out. Little did I know this level would probably be among the cream of the crop of the 100 Mario Challenge. It's pretty intentionally classic style. I don't know why I made the "100" but I had fun putting stuff in the blocks there. Also that Paratroopa jump kills a lot of people, didn't expect that. I don't even know if he's necessary or not but honestly Paratroopa jumps are fairly easy.

Radio in the Bathtub
Well, I have a Pikachu amiibo, of course, and I tended to think of possible themes for amiibo-centric stages, and "why did you put all the electricity in the water" kind of clicked. Plus, I hadn't really ever progressed a day intentionally by scribbling so I only skipped a day once, and having just got the water set meant it was one of the few sets where I had a mostly complete system, given I don't usually like going completely ham with shit like underwater hammer brothers. Given the toolset, the fooling around idea bin, and the SMB restriction I went pretty simple again, this time trying to make use of my newer semi-solid platforms for decor like I had seen Anti use a lot.

Don't Be Cruel
Very much one of my early ideas; a stage that had what looked like a part where you needed to bail from Yoshi, but you didn't and you needed Yoshi later. Because it's Yoshi, how could you throw him off the cliff you mean jerk. The "coin trail becoming block platforms" bit came to mind fairly early on, inspired by the many many times in uploaded levels I'd bring a P-switch or trampoline along "just in case". This level bends my personal rules on getting screwed and/or trial and error tricks for the sake of the central conciet, but I did make sure to have the player get a look at the jump area both in the preview box and from the side of one of the rooms.

I went SMW Ghost House because Ghost Houses are the established "tricksy puzzle levels" of Mario, and SMW was where you actually did have to use the Yoshi suicide to get to a secret exit, to put people in the right wrong frame of mind. After that, it was just filling in ghost house shit. The ending ended up pretty abrupt with just the pipe by the exit because I ran out of blocks, having been overzealous in blocking up places the player couldn't actually see. I'm not happy with how the camera ended up in the upper area... I try to stay out of putting stuff up there entirely because of that, but I needed the room. The magikoopa horseshoe room ended up with its weird ending because I was just scribbling when thinking and then decided the "everything's falling apart" look looked neat. I used it again in the filler room I put just to get on the right side of the strict pipe/door rules regarding subs, and to provide the preview area.

A Matter of Life and Death
The "two state" transforming level was something I had seen in uploaded levels a few times, and there's been precedent in other games too (like that seasons level in Milky Way Wishes). The problem is in execution, it tended to be just a thing where you had a barrier in one side so you switched to the other, then there was another barrier, and so on, which kind of sold the thing short. With uploaded levels, I also found the other way to fail where you just blasted through one of the areas and didn't give a fuck about the other area. I had thought about it for a few days, and eventually had to settle with the idea that each side would have different challenges, and that which ones was preferable to the other would be up for debate. I ended up with the Life and Death theme because I could make skull platforms into regular platforms to really change things up, plus there were other natural things like Koopa -> Undead Koopa. I choose SMB3 because SMW and NSMBU have ghost houses, which didn't match the outdoor "life" area. SMB and SMB3 had black void areas, and I decided I had seen way more SMB than SMB3, plus I had to go to SMB whenever I did an amiibo thing so nice to balance that out. What to do with the Boos took a while; Boos were like the other undead enemy there but they didn't really have a counterpart. Bloopers at least floated, were white, and were probably more deadly than their counterpart, who are slow as fuck, which let me give "life" a little more edge in areas.  A lot of the other details ended up coming through as I built, especially the runaround for the super secret room.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:03:02 AM by Yoshi348 »

Quote from: Lolicon Jon
i got anime of all tastes and sizes
come down to jon's anime emporium where we can satisfy your anime needs
1000 episode shounens, WE GOT IT
men(or little boys) kissing and loving each other, WE GOT IT
Nosebleeds from seeing the tiniest bit of skin of a woman, WE GOT IT
so come on down to jon's anime emporium down on the highway
like right on the highway
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 22, 2015, 02:24:37 PM
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »

Given the name, I felt this latest level of mine warranted a special introduction.

/!\ CAUTION /!\
Giant assault vehicle
[ Black Behemoth "BONEGRINDER" ]
is advance on location
Mission ID: 24E6-0000-0068-DC5C
Stay Vigilant Always

This stage is short and a little brutal with a pretty intense boss fight (would be more intense if not for one thing).

So anyway, things about my latest two courses.

Topsy-Turvy Mountain
The switching between two "versions" did come from A Matter of Life and Death. I obviously didn't want to copy that, so I figured a stage where you'd "flip gravity" was a good way to do it. Building this stage took extra care since I had to make sure that every tile, every enemy and every coin was replicated but upside down in the other section. Even the three 1-ups are replicated - even if they're only obtainable from one side. I might have run into a bit of what Yoshi mentioned, "find barrier, switch", but I also tried to make it a bit puzzly. Even if I used basically the same concept twice. It was interesting to make and I'm kinda proud of it.

Black Behemoth "BONEGRINDER"
This was a combination of a few ideas. The name was an idea I had of something where enemies would fall into holes with grinder blades, and there'd be a subsection that would be underneath the stage where there'd fall down bone koopas and stuff from the blade points. It was inspired by something Soap said, and I never really figured out how to make the concept work, but when I needed a name for this stage, it came in handy. I also wanted to make a SMB1 airship themed level, because I really liked the black steel design and the BGM. But I had already made Fortress in the Sky, so I decided to make it a ground-based vehicle instead, with grinder sawblades for wheels, and a slow autoscroll to make it seem like it's approaching. Thematically, but not gameplay-wise, it became a bit of a followup to Fortress, in that you start on the outside of it and enter it, and fight a boss with bombs at the end. But it's much shorter and there's only one interior section, which is the main part of the stage. It's pretty compact - excluding the boss room and exterior section, it's 8x2 screens to go through. It's definitely not an easy stage and Yoshi is probably going to yell at me about it. Due to the length, I also decided to put exactly 100 coins in it, and that's in addition to the three 1-ups. Spent a lot of time on the visuals, too.

Fighting bosses with infinitely spawning bombs is a thing you're likely to see more of from me. I find it a good way to provide a means of both attacking the boss and to force the boss to be fought, by putting a barrier to blow up afterwards. Easy to do when the boss is dead, and if you manage to pull it off while the boss is till alive, hell, you deserve to skip it.

Also! I learned how to get good screenshots, courtesy of SomethingAwful: "Find a screen you like on either Gamepad or TV, then hit home, go to Internet Browser, go to imgur.com, select Upload Images, then Browse Computer."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:04:38 AM by KennyMan666 »

I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 23, 2015, 07:54:23 AM
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2015, 07:54:23 AM »

Fine, for all of you babies who can't jump through a three-tile hole as big Mario, I've reuploaded Bonegrinder. The platforming should be a bit easier now. To compensate for this, certain other things have been made slightly harder. The boss room now has more bombs, and also more platforms, which should make the boss less prone to getting stuck on the bottom. Fight is definitely more intense now. The code has been updated in my previous post.

Also gave The Forgotten Deep some minor tweaks. I actually don't think it was possible to do it before, when I thought about it, but I've made sure that it's now completely impossible to lock yourself out from beating the stage. New Course ID is 79E0-0000-0065-3428.

Permalink  •  September 23, 2015, 12:56:09 PM
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »

websites "MakerMaps" and "MarioShare" might be helpful for everyone looking for exposure out there.

Also:

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 23, 2015, 01:32:46 PM
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »

Oh are YOU Me-Mow? That would explain why I keep seeing your comments on POS people's stages.

Permalink  •  September 23, 2015, 05:26:13 PM
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »

It'sa me(-mow)!
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 23, 2015, 05:26:33 PM
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »

I'm not even sorry: B4D5-0000-0066-BDFE

Edit: Comments on the new version of Bonegrinder are appreciated btw, I've gotten some over at SA and am considering some additional minor tweaks. As in it's almost certain it'll happen so I want to be sure I've gotten all the feedback people have.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:05:42 PM by KennyMan666 »

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  September 24, 2015, 10:04:21 AM
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »

The new and improved and hopefully final version of Bonegrinder is up. Get it at 24E6-0000-0068-DC5C.

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  September 26, 2015, 12:12:40 PM
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »

Posting these here so they don't get lost in the annals of skype chat.

Clockwork Clamber 70FB-0000-006D-271B
Over The Hills With Bullet Bills E859-0000-006D-2158

Permalink  •  September 26, 2015, 02:21:42 PM
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »

Anti how many levels have you even made so far? I've lost count.
Permalink  •  September 26, 2015, 03:16:43 PM
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »

Worlds1-4 of SMB with remixes of 1-1 through 3-3, and 1 level of World 5.

RN I'm working on SMB3, and I have 7 levels for world 1 done-ish (they need editing).

So... 35 levels? I'm pretty close to my cap.
Permalink  •  September 26, 2015, 09:39:10 PM
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

speaking of which:

Come start a new adventure with Mario!

Choose from 1-A: E7BF-0000-0067-A49C

or 1-B: B2FF-0000-006A-ADC6
I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Jack
  • I work with lasers but can't figure out my oven.
Permalink  •  September 27, 2015, 06:11:14 AM
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 06:11:14 AM »

I would add a level here but I've only made 1 legit level and now have maker's block so effort of that

"Always remember, stay flappy" -Soaprman 2014
Permalink  •  September 27, 2015, 12:35:10 PM
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »

POST THE LEVEL!!!
Best way to get over maker's block is to remix other people's, or nintendo's, levels until you get a cool idea.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7