POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: One Piece: Pure Corruption (aka OH MY GOD KENNY'S WRITING FANFICTION)  (Read 2051 times)
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  May 15, 2016, 04:59:05 PM

So yesterday I officially launched my current writing project, One Piece: Pure Corruption. I've been describing it as "a One Piece fanfic with ambitions". It started life as an RP on K-F forums. Twice, actually, but none of the attempts really got off the ground. But I liked the characters and the concepts, so I decided to start writing the story on my own - and with some input from one of the participators, and feedback from some other people, now it's here. The prologue and the first volume, consisting of nine chapters, are currently "published".

All of it's on the in the preceding paragraph linked to Pure Corruption website. I'm also submitting the chapters to my deviantArt page, and now actually also Fanfiction.net even if it looks much worse there. The website was always meant to be the chief location for it anyway, since I have far more control over the page structure there. It also has some bonus content.

So, well, if you're into One Piece, I hope you might enjoy my story. Since the story takes place before the events of One Piece proper, and at least as of now only involves characters that have nothing to do with actual One Piece characters, no real foreknowledge is needed, so if you're not into One Piece, it might be possible for you to enjoy it too!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:37:07 AM by KennyMan666 »

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  May 15, 2016, 09:52:46 PM

Are there any lesbians? That was my favorite part of Saber's pokemon fic.
SK
Permalink  •  May 15, 2016, 10:19:10 PM

did you learn a lot from your golden axe fanfic
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  May 16, 2016, 03:11:07 AM

Are there any lesbians? That was my favorite part of Saber's pokemon fic.
Actually, yes.

did you learn a lot from your golden axe fanfic
Actually, yes.

Also, if anyone were wondering just how absolutely fucking terrible Fanfiction.net is, this is the contents of the source code window of the document editor, wih an excerpt of the prologue:

Code: [Select]
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">The golden era of pirates was still young. Only a handful of years had passed since the execution of the Pirate King, Gold Roger. The chase for the fabled treasure, One Piece, had already claimed the lives of many ambitious crews, and the Grand Line had become a more chaotic sea than it had ever been before. The Marines were mobilizing in unprecedented numbers as more and more people hungry to follow in the footsteps of the Pirate King found themselves consigned to Davy Jones' Locker. One certain pirate by the name of Edward Newgate, also known as Whitebeard, had made himself a name as one of the strongest before this new era even began - and with Gold Roger gone, he was without any doubts the mightiest pirate on the sea. But the number of powerful pirates was greater than ever, with some even coming close to rivaling the strength of Roger and Whitebeard. To counter this, the World Government themselves turned to enlisting strong pirates to work for them...</span></div>
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"> </span></div>
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">Far away from all that, in the still calm ocean of West Blue, a small boat with a single crewmember appeared to have become lost. On the side of the boat, the name <em>Cassandra</em> had been painted, and lying on the deck was a man in his late twenties, with unkempt yellow hair and a stubble on his chin. Wearing only a white collared shirt and a pair of black pants, he appeared to be mightily exhausted from the heat.</span></div>
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;"> </span></div>
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">"Can't... give up..."</span></div>
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">He had set sail five days ago, expecting a three day long trip to reach his destination. He had no more food, and water supplies were dwindling. Seagulls circled over his boat as he stared into the sky and spoke to himself.</span></div>
<div><span style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">"I have to fight... Avasine can't be far..."</span></div>

What the actual literal fuck even is that abortion of html code? Line spacing super duper doesn't work at all either, the spacing between two lines you have in one "block" with just a single line break between them is the same as between two separate blocks with an additional blank line between them. You have to double line break to make a single line break, in an editor on a writing webpage, in fucking 2016. And there'll always be blank space between two lines you want to have together, nothing you can ever actually do about that and it looks like total shit. And trying to work in the source code view to use actual good coding doesn't work either because it changes it back to its own bullshit code when you save it. How has that site lived this long with that terrible of an editor?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:34:54 AM by KennyMan666 »

I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Permalink  •  May 16, 2016, 11:58:49 AM

my only question is about luffy's penis lmao am i right guys?
Permalink  •  May 16, 2016, 07:01:07 PM

Sounds like it uses Markdown, which is... actually rather common around the web. I'm a little surprised to hear that you're unfamiliar with it (or at least it seems that way). I found the line break stuff disorienting at first, too, but it's a fair price to pay for how nice it allows things like lists to be formatted. I'm not sure if it's the right choice for something meant for writing stories, but it's what they went with (probably because it's well-known and well-supported).

As far as automatically-generated HTML goes, that's actually really clean. I can't imagine the average user of fanfiction.net caring much about the HTML output; it probably only exists in the first place to allow for stuff that can't be done with Markdown syntax, like text colors. The undoing of your changes probably comes from the Markdown re-parsing the text after you save your HTML changes.

But hey, at least you've already figured out that the best way to have control over your look and feel is to make your own website and style it to your liking!

my only question is about luffy's penis lmao am i right guys?

Nice post!
押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  May 16, 2016, 08:02:21 PM

I know of Markdown, at least... and after experimenting, I've figured out two things: a) is that I'd have to edit every single chapter in the editor to redo all of the linebreaks to make things look not shit and 2) is that there's literally no way to have an extra blank line between paragraphs if you're not allowed to put in some additional html of your own which ff.net doesn't let you do (also, you can't do text colours and shit, it's super basic: "Story format has a restricted set of layout styles: underline, bold, italic, and text centering. All text will be displayed in black color."). The source code view isn't even available if you go to view/edit a document you've already submitted or uploaded, so... I don't even know.

Given that I do all my writing in Evernote and it works perfectly when I copy and paste it to the Wordpress editor or deviantArt's writing tool, I just don't feel like bothering with ff.net at all anymore. Oddly, the editor I use in Wordpress turns italics into pasted text into <i> tagged text, but if I use the function for italics it becomes <em>. That seems... strange.

Edit: In the end, it really just seems like that while trying to make it as user-friendly as possible for people who don't know what they're doing, they've ended up making it frustrating to use for the people who do.

Also edit: I'm not sure it even IS Markdown. It's... weird. But I believe I have finally found a way to do it that's not going to give me the grandest of headaches, which involves copying the html from the editor in wordpress and doing some find-replace to get the linebreaks proper and then pasting it into the source code editor and then touching nothing else at all before saving. So far, it SEEMS to work.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:45:16 AM by KennyMan666 »

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  May 20, 2016, 05:48:36 AM

So apart from all that bullshit, if anyone was actually reading, Volume 02: The Kurita incident and with that Chapter 010: Stop are now live.

Pages: [1]