POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India  (Read 3369 times)
Permalink  •  August 29, 2012, 08:03:13 PM
'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »

source: http://news.yahoo.com/hitler-clothing-store-stirs-anger-india-133743884.html

The owner of an Indian clothing store said Wednesday that he would only change its name from "Hitler" if he was compensated for re-branding costs, amid a growing row over the new shop.

The outlet, which sells Western men's wear, opened 10 days ago in Ahmedabad city in the western state of Gujarat with "Hitler" written in big letters over the front and with a Nazi swastika as the dot on the "i".

"I will change it (the name) if people want to compensate me for the money we have spent -- the logo, the hoarding, the business cards, the brand," Rajesh Shah told AFP.

He put the total costs at about 150,000 rupees ($2,700).

Shah insisted that until the store opened he did not know who Adolf Hitler was and that Hitler was a nickname given to the grandfather of his store partner because "he was very strict".

"I didn't know how much the name would disturb people," he told AFP by telephone from Ahmedabad. "It was only when the store opened I learnt Hitler had killed six million people."

Members of the tiny Jewish community in Ahmedabad condemned the store's name, while a senior Israeli diplomat said the embassy would raise the matter "in the strongest possible way."

"People use such names mostly out of ignorance," Israel's Mumbai Consul General Orna Sagiv told AFP.

Esther David, a prominent Indian writer in Ahmedabad who is Jewish, said she was "disturbed and distressed" by the shop, but added that some Indians used the word "Hitler" casually to describe autocratic people.

David said Jewish residents had sought to change Shah's mind about the store's name and told him about the Holocaust.

The row evoked memories of a controversy six years ago when a Mumbai restaurant owner called his cafe "Hitler's Cross" and put a swastika on the hoarding, claiming Hitler was a "catchy" name.

The restaurant owner eventually agreed to change the name after protests by the Israeli embassy, Germany and the US Anti-Defamation League.

Hitler attracts an unusual degree of respect in some parts of India, with his book "Mein Kampf" a popular title in bookshops and on street stalls.

Gujarat schoolbooks issued by the Hindu nationalist state government were criticised a few years ago for praising Hitler as someone who gave "dignity and prestige" to the German government.

This is amazing.

To be fair, the swastika is kind of cool looking?

Spoiler for Hidden:
Help me Eirin! Help me BURN THE JEWS

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 30, 2012, 10:20:35 AM
Re: 'Hitler' clothing store stirs anger in India
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »

Nothing wrong with the swastika (and manji) as a symbol from a design aspect. It's a nice symbol, as such. But then one guy had to go ruin it for everybody.

Quote from: SABERinBLUE
I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  August 30, 2012, 11:48:54 AM
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »

The Swastika is the manji symbol mirrored actually. Too bad people don't know that and the owner actually did use the swastika version for the I.

Also I can't imagine what kind of sheltered life he must've had to not know who Hitler was. He's just trying to take some heat off him I imagine.

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 30, 2012, 12:00:56 PM
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »

Actually no, manji and swastika are not different symbols - manji is just the Japanese word for swastika. A swastika can be clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I'm straight, and I don't like insinuations that I'm not straight. It's easy to say "not that there's anything wrong with that", but for me, I'm straight, so there is something wrong with me being gay, that being that I'm not gay. I'm proud of being straight and the idea of being gay goes against my biological wiring.
Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  August 30, 2012, 03:00:14 PM
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

Oh I never knew that. You learn something new every day.

Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  August 30, 2012, 04:22:03 PM
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »

Esther David, a prominent Indian writer in Ahmedabad who is Jewish, said she was "disturbed and distressed" by the shop, but added that some Indians used the word "Hitler" casually to describe autocratic people.

that's really crazy + kind of cool that they've adopted his name into their language like that without knowing about the connotation it has like everywhere else in the world
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:23:51 PM by Scrow Funk »

押忍!
  • 押忍!
  • Precursor
Permalink  •  August 30, 2012, 06:49:57 PM
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »

Oh I never knew that. You learn something new every day.
Yeah, I didn't actually know it before either - I was going to correct you in some other way (but I don't remember in what way it was), but then I got unsure myself about if I was actually right and so looked it up. So there you go.

Permalink  •  August 31, 2012, 11:37:17 AM
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »

I am laughing.
stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
  • stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
Permalink  •  September 12, 2012, 11:51:10 PM
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »

one time when i was a kid i was noodlling in my school notebook and drew this cool design and then i freaked out and ripped it up and threw it in the trash because i realized i drew the hitler symbol
stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
  • stake mistakes (dan deacon reference)
Permalink  •  September 12, 2012, 11:51:26 PM
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »

it was on accident! i sware!
Pages: [1]