POSFriends
make me some furnitures http://thedailypos.org/friends/index.php?topic=1360.new#new

we're drawing pokemon again, maybe
Register |
  (Advanced search)
Pages: [1]
Topic: Torchlight II  (Read 1612 times)
Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
  • Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon! That is a monster!
Permalink  •  September 28, 2012, 02:47:59 PM
Torchlight II
« on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

Reviewer's Note: On POS I did a Beta Impressions for Torchlight 2, so I figured I'd review it. I tried to be as objective as possible I hope you guys enjoy:

Torchlight was a game I enjoyed. It brought back fond memories of what clicking through Diablo and Diablo II's randomly generated dungeons was lick when I was a mere youngin. Hours spent farming that one boss simply for a shiny staff that'll be easily replaced within mere moments isn't exactly what people would call fun, but for me it was. Diablo II expanded this for me by bringing the whole online aspect of it. In a sense this was my first online game and it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

When the team broke off from Blizzard and formed Runic Games they just went back to what they thought they knew best. Making well Diablo! Everything about the original Torchlight brought really fond memories of the first two Diablo games. The music, the dungeon crawling and of course the endless clicking noise of my mouse. The graphics weren't what people call top of the line, but they worked for this world. It all came together quite nicely and it was cheap! Twenty bucks got you a game that could last you a life time.

So the sequel is now out and I got to say they made some major improvements over the first game. I'll get to Diablo 3 in a moment, for now stay a while and listen as I talk about this amazing game.

Torchlight II took what worked in the first game and made it a million times better. A lot of the core gameplay hasn't changed, you still have to click through lots of monsters, doors, breakable stuff and portals to get yourself around in the game. However it's still incredibly fun. All the maps outside the towns are randomly generated, which adds to the replay value immensely. This time however, it seems they're following the design of Diablo 2. Three major acts each with it's own town, and then one mini act that brings you to the grande finale. I guess if it isn't broke don't fix it, because it does work quite well into making vast environments to explore. 

The art style remains the same, but the classes are different. There are four to choose from: The Embermage who is like a mage class. The Outlander which is the gun wielding rogue type class. The Engineer, which is kind of like a summoner class except with robots. Finally there's the Berserker class who's basically like the Destroyer in the first game. Big beefy guy who runs around killing things by punching them. Each class has three unique skill trees which they revamped into an awesome system which lets you pick and choose what kind of skills you'd like and how to level them up. Each skill unlocks at a certain level rather than having to spec down a certain tree, which makes it feel like you truly are making your own unique class. So even if you're in a game with four of the same class, each one could play vastly different than the other making a very unique experience for each player.

Oh did I mention it has online? The first one didn't have a multiplayer option which was probably one of the biggest flaws of the game. Now they fixed that to where you can have up to six players in a game at once. Runic made a very good system where you connect through their lobby, and then whoever made the game hosts it. Even if the servers go down, your game won't be interrupted! Plus you can always go to LAN as well. Single player doesn't require an internet connection either! You can play offline, then join your friends seamlessly online with the same character.

Now then we go on to the big Diablo 3 versus Torchlight II. Which one is better? Well it really depends honestly. Both games have diehard fans that won't ever back down from their favorite of the two, but comparing a lot of the features in both games I'd say personally each is it's own unique experience. The ability to play without an internet connection is a big plus for Torchlight II though and the fact that it almost plays exactly like Diablo 2 is pretty awesome personally. Plus the game's moddable! You can make or download custom skins, mods and maps to make the game play any way you want! Plus you can play with these mods online (as long as everyone has said mod) which is awesome. Torchlight II definitely seems more geared for the fans in this aspect. The price tag is more appealing too. Twenty bucks gets you a huge game that offers a lot of replay value.

So in my opinion if you're into action rpgs and even bought Diablo 3 already, this is a good buy for you. This game has a lot of content for such a small price tag. I'd say this game is the perfect choice for those that want a true successor to Diablo 2.

Kill em and grill em.
nimrodpowerz
  • Kill em and grill em.
Permalink  •  September 28, 2012, 06:45:37 PM
Re: Torchlight II
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »

Torchlight 2 is a game

SK
Permalink  •  September 29, 2012, 04:47:47 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »

this review has taught me that torchlight II is the sequel to torchlight I
Scrow Funk
  • wheres the beef
Permalink  •  September 29, 2012, 05:21:34 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

this review has taught me that torchlight II is the sequel to torchlight I

it's actually the sequel to diablo 2

Permalink  •  September 30, 2012, 09:51:57 AM
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »

*waits for it to go on sale*
I'm too much of a cheapskate and I'm patient enough to wait for the inevitable Steam sale, especially since I'll be buying my girlfriend a copy so she can play with me.

Yeah...Torchlight II has been on my wishlist for awhile now. I really only played through the first one as the mage, but I did at least intend to try my luck with the other two.

Endo > Octane > Dominus
Pages: [1]